Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 4, 2009, 11:30 PM   #1

Default What is holding up the Panasonic ZS3 ?

According to the first reviews of the Panasonic Lumix ZS3 it needed a software up date and the Mode Dial was wobbly. Whatever supply was out there quickly disappeared. I assume that Panasonic is fixing the problem before shipping anymore. No one seems to have any of these cameras for sale in the U.S. and this lack of supply has been going on for over a month. Panasonic has a very good camera, according to the reviewers, but they are sure taking their time to bring it to market. The ZS3 is supposed to be the top of the line "Travel Camera". Well summer travel is well under way in the states and you can't get your hands on one of these cameras. Some vendors were saying they would have them available by June 8, now I have had one vendor say it will be July. On Amazon's web site it says that this camera "usually ships in one to two months". What is going on?
Bluerapids is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 5, 2009, 8:01 AM   #2

Hi Blue,

the silver one should still be available at amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-...4203231&sr=8-3
skyoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2009, 9:38 AM   #3

Folks,

I've recently got ZS3 from Abe's Of Maine: I've purchased it on May 17 and got it on May 28.
The only issue was/is Canadian warranty (I live in NY). But I can live with it.
FZKAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2009, 11:11 PM   #4

FZCAP,

Does your Panasonic ZS3 have a wobbly mode dial? I understand that the first production models did.

Bluerapids
Old Jun 6, 2009, 11:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluerapids View Post
FZCAP,

Does your Panasonic ZS3 have a wobbly mode dial? I understand that the first production models did.

Bluerapids
I'm not sure "wobbly" is the right word to describe the problem (although I haven't really held the ZS3 to really know it). My understanding though, is that the mode dial does not "click" firmly on a particular position. Therefore, a slight touch can cause it to switch from one mode to another. If this is indeed the problem, it is purely mechanical and depending on the internal design, it could or could not be an easy fix. If the problem lies on the dial itself, it's easy. Panasonic needs to replace the dial making the little "dents" that make it lock in each position, a bit deeper. However, if the problem is on the other end where the dial gets attached to, then things can get much more complicated in terms of a quick fix.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2009, 11:57 AM   #6

Dial mode doesn't look "wobbly" for me - at least I have no problem with it.
Camera looks great in both directions: still and video.
I came to this camera from "video" side of hybrid cameras world: my 2 previous cameras were Sanyo Xacti C6 and HD700.
After 1 week of testing I can say that still capacity of ZS3 is MUCH-MUCH better and video also outperform Xacti HD700. OIS is just amazing!

So far I'm siply say happy with ZS3.
FZKAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2009, 8:10 AM   #7

Although I have the ZS-1, I will say that I think I like the feel of my TZ-50 a bit more. I'm also not crazy about Panasonic's rearrangement of the dial and shutter button. You literally need to extend your finger over the mode dial to use the shutter button. Regardless, I still love my new little toy.
TTT103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 1:54 PM   #8

Here it is June 16 and the supply of the Panasonic ZS3 is still very limited. I would hope that Panasonic will fix the early problems (software, loose Mode Dial) and start shipping soon. When there is competition on-line because of increased supply of high-end cameras, the prices should start to fall to a reasonable level. I can't see paying around $400 and then have quality issues too. One vendor I talked to on the phone, that had a Panasonic ZS3 in stock, admitted that it was one of the early models with a loose Mode Dial.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 2:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluerapids View Post
...When there is competition on-line because of increased supply of high-end cameras, the prices should start to fall to a reasonable level.
Well, late last year I was thinking about buying the LX3 (just under $400 back then) but thought once Xmas was over, prices would eventually come down. I was dead wrong. Prices are now approaching $500. I'm not saying the same will happen to the ZS3 but considering the increase in its popularity (primarily due to the video quality), one can't assume that its price will come down any time soon.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote