Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 17, 2009, 2:11 PM   #11

This is right in-line with the past practice of Panasonic. The FZ28 was introduced July 21, 2008 and the prior model FZ18 on July 24, 2007, so it's been almost a year and that seems to be the recent life cycle of this model.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2009, 7:59 PM   #12

Hi,
I've been trying to find a black fz 28 to buy and have gone through the wringer.
I see that prices have gone up almost $100 since May. Silver's are $50 cheaper if you can live with a Silver. I can't believe the scammers are still at it in NY. How do they stay open year after year. I'm about ready to give up, I can't even find a Black refurb except for the overpriced ones on Evil-Bay. People are selling used ones for what you could buy new for 2 months ago. This is a bad economy we're in and this is going on....it's nuts.
bluzjamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2009, 8:46 PM   #13

B&H still has silver ones for $299. Good price if you don't mind silver.
Stan C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2009, 10:17 PM   #14

Amazon is still showing the black in stock at $339. That's what I paid last September.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-...5464152&sr=8-1
rfdandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2009, 1:20 PM   #15

Amazon was like $299 two weeks ago. It is $339 + ship. So $347. Almost $50 increase in two weeks.
For a cam that will be replaced by a new model in a month. I don't think so. Not to mention if you upgrade the firmware you won't be able to use 3rd party batteries.

Last edited by bluzjamer; Jun 20, 2009 at 1:23 PM.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 3:01 PM   #16

I was OK with what you said right up until the last statement.

The FZ28 doesn't use chipped batteries. It uses the same unchipped battery as the FZ18. There's no hardware or logic in the camera to interact with a chipped battery, so nothing for firmware to do in that area. Whatever replaces the FZ28, however, will undoubtedly used a chipped battery.

By the way, there is no firmware upgrade available that I know of. If you spot one, please post here.

One of the other vendors listed by Amazon (click "see more buying choices") has it for $338+$5 shipping.

It's a great camera even at that price. What do you think its replacement will sell for? Look at ZS3 prices to get an idea.
rfdandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2009, 11:38 PM   #17

I think the whole FZ series is headed for history, with no guarantee that the replacements will be nearly as good. The market seems to want tiny little cameras with high MP numbers more than it wants cameras that make great pictures!
tsiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2009, 10:21 AM   #18

Hi Again,
Sorry I stand corrected no firmware update for FZ28. Here is the link for the rest of the firmware updates http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...c_battery.html
I'm just getting worn out looking for blk model without paying a premium. I also hate paying an increase if I saw it cheaper two weeks ago. No reason for the increase.
I bid on a Canon today just out of fustration. I did lose the bid, people are bidding crazy prices on Ebay. Is this a for real bad economy or just a make believe one? I've seen people bid more for used fz28's than they were going for new two weeks ago. Looks like I'll just have to make due with the socks and shorts I got for father's day!
Old Jun 21, 2009, 11:17 AM   #19

This eBay craziness too will pass. People just have to be a little more patient and not get into a "panic" mode over cameras. Last year I was thinking about buying a LX3. It was around $400 with 30% Live cashback if buying from eBay. I thought it was too good to be true and did not get one. Today the LX3 goes for $500. Am I going to get one now? Heck no. I'll wait until whenever. I'm sure it will eventually go cheaper.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2009, 12:48 PM   #20

Ok, I just got fed up with the craziness. I guess I wanted something more than the socks and shorts I got for fathers day. I hemmed and hawed and went back and forth from the Panny to the Canon sx10is. The Canon won. Too many people were very angry about the panny audio in movie mode. I know it had HD but it has lousy audio. The battery being dedicated was another thing that was important as was the moveable lcd on the Canon. I got a black one at a liveable price and pulled the trigger. It will at least be neat with my Canon Printer. Thanks for putting up with my ranting.