Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 15, 2009, 6:04 AM   #1

Default Discontinued ?

B&H is showing the FZ-28 as DISCONTINUED?? Does that mean a higher zoom replacement could be on the way
Stan C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 15, 2009, 4:07 PM   #2

It may very well mean that. Actually, what B&H is saying is that the black FZ28 has been discontinued. They still offer the silver one. The same with Adorama. Of course, it's clear that both cameras have been discontinued but since the black version has always been more popular than the silver version, there's still a ready supply of silver FZ28's - at least for now.

Also, don't assume the FZ28's replacement will have either more megapixels or more zoom (although more zoom is likely). Panasonic has been taking a reasonable approach to specifications versus image quality lately. And that's a good thing. But if they add more zoom range, I pray to God that they keep the fast aperture. I am not prepared to live with f/5 or slower at the long end of the zoom range. Other FZ28 updates on my personal wish list: fully articulating LCD, LCD and EVF at G1 quality, faster burst mode with larger cache.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2009, 4:26 PM   #3

Thanks for the info !!
Old Jun 16, 2009, 10:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan C. View Post
B&H is showing the FZ-28 as DISCONTINUED?? Does that mean a higher zoom replacement could be on the way
This sounds strange. Usually manufacturers release (or at least announce) a new product first before discontinuing the old one and there are several reasons for that. The primary one is customer acceptance of the new product. Discontinuing a successful model like the FZ28 w/o offering a replacement does not sound like a good marketing strategy to me. But then again, I'm not a marketing person so what do I know?!?

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 11:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
This sounds strange. Usually manufacturers release (or at least announce) a new product first before discontinuing the old one...
The marketing benefit to the current strategy may be that Panasonic wants to ensure that existing inventory is depleted before a new model is announced. If they announce a new model prematurely, existing inventory might languish on retailers' shelves unsold.

Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video
henryp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 11:23 AM   #6

It sounds logical (but an unusual move). Panasonic may loose lots of sales opportunities for not having the new model out on the shelves while retailers have depleted their inventory of the old model. Since they haven't announced anything, potential buyers won't know what to expect, how long they'll have to wait for the replacement model and most importantly, how much it will cost. So, the option may be to go with another brand. In the meantime, Amazon still has it in stock.

Tullio
Old Jun 17, 2009, 10:48 AM   #7

A co-worker, who frequently buys from B&H, told me yesterday that many many times B&H lists items on their site as being "discontinued" when they are actually just out-of-stock. He said he's seen items going from "discontinued" to "in stock", so I would not assume the FZ28 is being discontinued just yet. Many other retailers still has it. Of course this could be just high stock that they have to get rid of but still, it doesn't sound right that Panasonic is pulling the FZ28 out of the market w/o having announced a replacement model.

Tullio
Old Jun 17, 2009, 10:57 AM   #8

I'm usually on the B&H site 4 to 5 times a week and never noticed that. Also, they have removed the picture, description etc from the site....
Guess we'll have to wait and see
Old Jun 17, 2009, 11:47 AM   #9

That could also mean that B&H is no longer carrying this particular model (for whatever reason) as opposed to it being discontinued by Panasonic.

Tullio
Old Jun 17, 2009, 1:54 PM   #10

That was kind of the impression I got too. Maybe B&H (not Panny) is anticipating the announcement of a new model and doesn't want to order any more for fear of being stuck with old stock.

At any rate, it doesn't matter. My FZ28 still takes great pictures. Will probably skip the next upgrade.
rfdandrea is offline   Reply With Quote