Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 17, 2009, 1:58 AM   #1

Default avoid Panasonic update

..if you use 3rd party batteries

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...c_battery.html
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 17, 2009, 2:14 AM   #2

Hmmm still wondering how can detect original and 3rd party?
armadilloshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2009, 9:18 AM   #3

Sony has such strategy implemented for quite awhile (with their INFO LITHIUM Technology). However, I thought that this required an IC chip to be part of the battery. Otherwise, it is difficult to see how an implementation from the camera side only can differentiate battery brand.
sdromel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2009, 10:24 AM   #4
Administrator

That's my understanding (the Sony Info Lithium batteries include a built in chip, which helps the cameras precisely calculate remaining charge time).

I've seen mixed reports on third party batteries working with models using this system. But, I haven't tried any third party batteries in my Sony A700 to find out.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2009, 11:43 AM   #5

is anyone going to try v1.2 FW and a non Panasonic battery to see if they work? I believe the non OEM batteries will work once they have the technology, happened in Print Carts for epson
MrMister111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2009, 10:16 PM   #6

Default Sony

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
That's my understanding (the Sony Info Lithium batteries include a built in chip, which helps the cameras precisely calculate remaining charge time).

I've seen mixed reports on third party batteries working with models using this system. But, I haven't tried any third party batteries in my Sony A700 to find out.
I have an 3rd party battery for my A200 that is great, if I use it in the camera body. If I use it in the vertical grip it must be in position 1. If installed in position 2 the camera won't work and a warning pops up. I'm letting it run down to see what happens when it reaches the point that triggers the switch to battery 2. The OEM battery is erratic, sometimes it will sit on charge for 6 or 8 hours and the light stays on, next time charge time will be normal. This isn't related to the level of discharge. The Ebay battery charges at a normal rate, according to the manual.
The system is too complex, not really reliable, and probably designed only to sell batteries. I love the camera but this is aggravating.
tsiya is offline   Reply With Quote