Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 7, 2003, 1:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasmus41
The problem, as always, is the day job! I was planning to do something on focusing this weekend, and post it on the drpreview forum, but now I'm not sure what you guys want in terms of format, etc.
I think just a question/answer format is fine with me. The FAQ software I am using also supports a Knowledge Base function. So, if you want to write a detailed paper on a certain subject we can put that in the KB.

If I don't get some serious interest in this project I am just going to put it on the back shelf somewhere. I have other interests to pursue. I was just thinking it would be nice to have a centralized location for info on the cameras. I of course mean no offense to Steve or dpreview. Both are providing an excellent resource which I of course would never be able to match (nor do I really want to). I just figured that it might be nice if we had someplace to refer people to for detailed answers to the most commonly asked questions.
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2003, 9:03 PM   #12

Hi:

[email protected] wrote:
Are you looking for impressions, tips on unclearly documented features, discoveries enabling easier usage?

All of the above. We hope to put together a good quality FAQ so that when someone asks us the same question for the quadrillionth time we can then refer them to the FAQ for a detailed answer.

The FAQ is still taking baby steps (actually, it's not even crawling yet) to becoming a reality. You can join the discussion by going to http://faqproject.jacobfam.net and signing up.

OK, I'll start gathering and organizing material.

BTW, since your e-mail is Verizon, I was just wondering where you are located and how did you get a FZ2?

Located near Sarasota, FL (W. coast of FL), and fortunate enough to have English relatives bring over an FZ2 for me. I love that little cam beyond all reason!

Jack
Old Nov 8, 2003, 10:51 AM   #13

Sorry Bryan, I believe you It's just that a fortnight represents an aeon on the dpreview forum and I imagined that by that time the soil had been patted down.

Dan, thanks for the support. The hope is that the load of writing stuff will be shared. While being aware I'm in no position to answer most of the questions with any authority, the fact that I possess an FZ-1 still gives me the privilege of access to info that posters regularly request. A simple five minute test on the minimum focussing distance of the camera written up in a few lines would represent a valuable resource for quite a few people.

And once again, thanks to Neal for all the effort so far.
normjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2003, 3:01 PM   #14

If anyone wants to see what it looks like so far:

http://panafaq.jacobfam.net

Of course, I'd take donations so this project can have it's own domain.
Maybe panafaq.com?
Old Nov 9, 2003, 5:52 PM   #15

Looks do-able. How does one create and upload a new FAQ in the FZ1 category? Can links be imbedded?
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2003, 7:18 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmoore
Looks do-able. How does one create and upload a new FAQ in the FZ1 category?
Fred, let me get back to you on this when I have time to answer in detail. The FAQ interface is a little on the confusing side at first. If you PM me with your desired choice for a username/password I'll set up an account for you so you can play around.

Quote:
Can links be imbedded?
I believe so.
Old Nov 10, 2003, 11:12 AM   #17

[quote="normjackson"]Sorry Bryan, I believe you It's just that a fortnight represents an aeon on the dpreview forum and I imagined that by that time the soil had been patted down.

Norm,

I now have about 1600 words on focusing in Word format. Where and how do I send the doc?

Bryan.
erasmus41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2003, 2:59 PM   #18

send it to me... I'll PM you with the e-mail address.
Old Nov 19, 2003, 2:00 PM   #19

Default Time to pull the plug

Due to the lack of interest in this project I have decided to bring it to a close. Besides myself only 2 other people have shown a serious interest. I have set aside space on my own hosting account for this project and I have other projects that are more worthy of my time.

I will be disabling everything associated with the FAQ on Saturday, Nov. 22. If anyone wishes to comment, please do so before Saturday by replying to this post.

Thank you to Norm Jackson and Erasmus41 for your assistance.
Old Jan 2, 2004, 6:36 PM   #20

I'm resurrecting the project here.
alexo is offline   Reply With Quote