Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 5, 2003, 8:29 PM   #1

Default Unofficial Panasonic FAQ

Fellow Panasonic owners:

NormJackson and I are working on a FAQ project for the Panasonic Lumix cameras. Specifically, we are working on the FZx line of cameras. This project is in the infancy stage right now. If anyone is interested in participating, please go to:

http://faqproject.jacobfam.net

and sign up for the discussion list.

Thank you,
Neal
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2003, 6:05 PM   #2

Smart move Neal putting my name to the project :roll: All credibility of project now shot to pieces...

What Neal is referring to is my attempt to get folks at dpreview interested in contributing to a FAQ, or "tips and tricks" website where all the questions that continually crop up could be answered. If each individual carefully researched just one detail and wrote up their findings, I figured quite a useful resource of good quality could be built up quite quickly without any one individual having to make large sacrifices of their time.
I even went so far as to produce the following embarrassing web page to try to generate a little interest :
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/norm.jackson/fz1.htm
While no one raised any arguments against the idea, no one (after a fortnight) has contributed anything either! And ideas and info seem to get buried and forgotten at the dpreview site in much less time than that.

Naturally, I'm hoping Neal's enthusiasm may inspire others to offer some feedback and who knows, perhaps even some contributions

If not, the project could take longer than a Panasonic firmware upgrade :lol:
normjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2003, 7:38 PM   #3

Neal & Norm:

OK, My partner has (and loves) an FZ1, and I just got (and love) an FZ2. I/we would be glad to "contribute" if I had an idea of the format you would like. I glanced at your web page, and it was not clear what you would regard as a helpful contribution. Are you looking for impressions, tips on unclearly documented features, discoveries enabling easier usage? Here or DPReview, doesn't matter.

We teach digital imaging, I have a D60 and 10D with a load of lenses, and we are impressed (and quite surprised) at what these neat little machines can produce, particularly with a little careful post-processing.

Jack Winberg
jack.winberg@verizon.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2003, 8:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by normjackson
Smart move Neal putting my name to the project :roll: All credibility of project now shot to pieces...
Actually, I thought that made it more credible!
Old Nov 6, 2003, 8:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
Are you looking for impressions, tips on unclearly documented features, discoveries enabling easier usage?
All of the above. We hope to put together a good quality FAQ so that when someone asks us the same question for the quadrillionth time we can then refer them to the FAQ for a detailed answer.

The FAQ is still taking baby steps (actually, it's not even crawling yet) to becoming a reality. You can join the discussion by going to http://faqproject.jacobfam.net and signing up.

BTW, since your e-mail is Verizon, I was just wondering where you are located and how did you get a FZ2?
Old Nov 6, 2003, 9:08 PM   #6

Thanks for the response Jack. I'd agree with Neal, but suggest if we were "prioritising" that "personal impressions" are perhaps the least important on the list if that means the sort of information given at this place :
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/read...nasonic_dmcfz1
I suggest that because a) evidently there is already a place where such comments already exist in a fairly tidy format and b) if someone considers those inadequate it is most likely because they want "real contact" with someone on some issue; and this, of couse, is a very important service of these forums.

I'd like to see any contribution made available straight away, so if you can send something to me by PM at this site, I'd be proud to put something worth reading on the page :
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/norm.jackson/fz1.htm

BTW Neal, my ftp software is only a demo whose functionality runs out at the end of the month. Not that I'm trying to put on pressure or anything :shock: :lol:
normjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2003, 7:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by normjackson
BTW Neal, my ftp software is only a demo whose functionality runs out at the end of the month. Not that I'm trying to put on pressure or anything :shock: :lol:
Hey! I'm working on it! I have a "real job" too ya know!

You can try going back to the FAQ page and entering some of your FAQ's there. The delay you faced before should be gone. I think there were server issues that day you tried.
Old Nov 7, 2003, 12:33 PM   #8

Okay, I got some work done.

http://panafaq.jacobfam.net
Old Nov 7, 2003, 1:07 PM   #9

While no one raised any arguments against the idea, no one (after a fortnight) has contributed anything either! And ideas and info seem to get buried and forgotten at the dpreview site in much less time than that.

Norm,

The problem, as always, is the day job! I was planning to do something on focusing this weekend, and post it on the drpreview forum, but now I'm not sure what you guys want in terms of format, etc.

Bryan.
erasmus41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2003, 1:41 PM   #10

I'm very glad to see the interest. Problem is, who's going to write it. I'm not good enough, but it seems like a number of correspondents on dp review, who have posted glorious images, might be persauded to hold forth on a few of their favorite topics, (low light shooting, night, focus issues) If their posts can be arranged in a modestly sensible way it will be very useful to everybody, especially guys like me.

And now we have a "firmware" upgrade issue; i.e. FZ 1 to FZ 2 to deal with.

In any case, I appreciate the effort.
filmmaker1225 is offline   Reply With Quote