Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 6, 2003, 5:24 PM   #1

Default FZ1 shots some with B300

The B300 shots are the ones of the moon, the squirrel and the birds.. All the B300 shots are at full zoom, the moon shot was from a tripod but the others were hand held with the camera resting on a ledge...
I have had my FZ1 for about three months now and I love it, I get a much higher percentage of good shots compared to the Olympus C700uz that I traded in to buy it.....Here's a link to the shots please give them time to load, all the pictures are straight from the camera with no processing.......

http://www.mets4life.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/allsorts/
dave Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2003, 6:29 PM   #2

Very nice
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2003, 7:04 AM   #3

Thanks, one thing of interest that I found when using the B300 was that I get much sharper shots if I screw it directly to the tube rather than to the UV filter that I use to protect the lens..The only drawback is that the B300 is a big heavy lens and it doesn't feel all that secure to me so I handle it carefully..
A solution to the problem would be a metal tube like the one I used with my C700uz, maybe there is one out there somewhere that would fit the FZ1...
Old Nov 7, 2003, 7:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave Thomson
Thanks, one thing of interest that I found when using the B300 was that I get much sharper shots if I screw it directly to the tube rather than to the UV filter that I use to protect the lens
I've noticed that when I try and take closeups of the moon with the UV filter in place (always leave it on of course) there is a little "ghost image" of the moon. I'm guessing that might because the filter is not multi-coated? This Saturday is a lunar eclipse. I'm going to remove the filter to avoid the "ghost" and see what kind of shots I get.
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2003, 10:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave Thomson
The only drawback is that the B300 is a big heavy lens and it doesn't feel all that secure to me so I handle it carefully.
The threads in the adapter start about .5mm into the adapter resuting in only about a half turn of connection with the b300 before you run out of threads. Removal of that .5mm of plastic with sandpaper will allow at least one and a half turns and a much more secure connection.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2003, 10:28 AM   #6

I have taken quite a lot of moon shots, but I have never come across a ghost image, maybe it is the filter as you suggest. The filter I use is an ordinary hoya uv not the more expensive multi coated model, I guess you will have the answer tonight when you take your eclipse shots...
I was hoping to take some of my own tonight but we have overcast skies today and its reported that it will be a disapointing eclipse for observers here in the UK..
Hmmmm, so thats nothing new for us here, I look forward to seeing your shots if the weather stays fair for you....
Old Nov 8, 2003, 10:44 AM   #7

Fred, thanks for the tip about the threads in the adapter, I was aware of this and had allready sanded my tube down as you suggested, but to avoid damaging the plastic threads I had been leaving the uv on and screwing the B300 on to it. The pictures were not as sharp as B300 shots taken with my C700uz, so I took the filter off and there was a noticable improvement in sharpness, but I still wish I could find a metal adapter for peace of mind..
Old Nov 8, 2003, 11:56 AM   #8

I agree, Dave. Frequent on/off with filters is going to take its toll on those plastic threads. A metel adapter would be best though it would be difficult to remove the part interferring with the start of the threads. I have considered getting another plastic adapter and experimenting with that. They are only $11.18 at http://www.partsolver.com/Product.as...tutePart=False
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2003, 5:04 PM   #9

Thats a good idea Fred, I just looked on Panasonic UKs web site and you can order the adapter online for 8.31, so i will order one just in case I ruin this one, and as you say it would also give a chance to experiment..
Old Nov 8, 2003, 9:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrmseKpr
This Saturday is a lunar eclipse. I'm going to remove the filter to avoid the "ghost" and see what kind of shots I get.
post your shots man.
i tried to take a few pictures but they are all pretty bad
show me yours
v1p0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote