Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 7, 2009, 3:48 PM   #1

Default Panasonic FZ 28 Favorites

Whats your favorite tips or tricks and settings. I am looking for new ways to use my camera (other then auto) and just wondering what everybody else is doing???
KayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 8, 2009, 8:44 AM   #2

IA does a good job in most situations but, when shooting indoor still shots without a flash, aperture priority can give you a better exposed picture. And when shooting outdoor action pictures, shutter priority with a fast shutter speed will eliminate blur better than IA. It will take a while to get comfortable with aperture priority and shutter priority but it's worth the effort.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2009, 11:22 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyfromVA View Post
IA does a good job in most situations but, when shooting indoor still shots without a flash, aperture priority can give you a better exposed picture. And when shooting outdoor action pictures, shutter priority with a fast shutter speed will eliminate blur better than IA. It will take a while to get comfortable with aperture priority and shutter priority but it's worth the effort.
Aperture priority will not give you better exposed pictures. The "A" mode does two things: it controls Depth of Field (larger aperture=shallow DoF and vice-versa); and it can help reduce purple fringing (purple/green line along the edges in high contrast) as well as increase image sharpness (most cameras can produce soft images at wide open apertures so stopping down a couple of ftops will make the image sharper). Brian Peterson has a great book called "Understanding Exposure", in which he explains in a simple but very effective way the effects of Aperture, Shutter speed and ISO and how they interact with each other.

As for suggestions, I'd say use A mode if you wish to create effects related to DoF (blurred vs. sharp background); S mode if speed is important (shooting action scenes - sports, flying birds, etc.). The faster the speed, the more you'll freeze the action. Whether using A or S, one important thing is to be aware of the available light. The smaller the aperture or faster shutter, the more light you'll need and if the combination of the two is such that the camera does not have enough light passing through the lens, then ISO needs to be increased.

I played with B&W and must say that the FZ28 can produce some real nice images in this mode. I increased both Saturation and Contrast to their highest values to create a more dramatic effect. However, there are plenty of free photo editors out there that can convert a color image into B&W so I suggest you always shoot in color and then apply the effects in PP.

I have my FZ28 set with Saturation +1, Contrast 0, Sharpness +1 and NR +1 and I tend to shoot in P mode most of the time.

Hope this helps.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2009, 3:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Aperture priority will not give you better exposed pictures
It does when it freezes the aperture at its widest setting and ensures that the picture will be as light as it can be at a particular ISO setting. I use it in low light for still shots all the time.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2009, 2:52 PM   #5

I don't think I quite understand the rational. Say you have the camera set to P and ISO forced to 100 (not AUTO). The camera will automatically lower the fstop (increase the aperture) as much as needed depending on the available light. Just because you have forced the Aperture to its widest setting, it does not mean you will obtain a well exposed image because it all depends on how much light there is and whether the ISO setting accommodates that or not. You can choose f2.8 and ISO 100 but if there is not enough light, the camera will drop the shutter speed to values so low that you will end up with blurred images caused by camera shake.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2009, 7:23 PM   #6

Thank you for the replys. Does anybody else have a favorite setting/settings????
KayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2009, 1:43 AM   #7

I don't have a favorite setting yet, having just acquired my FZ28 last Monday. I used the Sports mode for most of my shooting at the Seafair airshow yesterday, with metering set to spot and high speed, and quick autofocus on. I got some great shots, but a lot of not so great shots. The shots I have tried with iA seem to work pretty well. It's really boggling how many options there are in the FZ28. My last camera I pretty much always left on Auto or P, and it gave me great results. Occasionally I would use S mode to slow things down, or adjust the exposure compensation, but that was about it. I may end up doing the same with the Panasonic.
aaroncgi is offline   Reply With Quote