Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 7, 2003, 3:07 AM   #1

Default Meanwhile in Japan: unexpected FZ1 firmware update twist

Oh boy! I feel sorry for Panasonic Bob... he is going to be very busy answering questions now

From that other popular Panasonic forum....choi wrote:
> Panasonic japan has release a firmware upgrade for FZ1 which will
> make it
> have all the function of FZ2
>
> Price is 6000 Japanese Yen
> Include a 8MB SD
> Camera serial no. not need.
>
> http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2003/1107/pana.htm

Here's the obligatory babelfish babble:

The Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., Ltd.corporation sells the version rise kit "DMW-VUZ1" of digital camera "DMC-FZ1" business from November 14th. As for price 6,000 Yen.

As for DMC-FZ1 digital camera of optical 12 time zoom lens and 200 ten thousand pixel CCD loading. At the same kit by the fact that version it raises the firmware, equal function to succession model "DMC-FZ2" becomes enabled.

The firmware to be offered at the SD memory card media of capacity 8MB, as for file size approximately 14KB. Serial number and the like of the camera itself is not needed in installation.

At the same company, "FZ2 being sold after, a demand that had risen mainly we want adding equal performance to also FZ1,", that it has done. The function which is added is as follows.

Contraction priority AE functional addition
(F2.8 - 8.0 Range with 1/3EV mark setting possibility)
Shutter priority AE functional addition
(1/2,000 - Range of 8 seconds with 1/3EV mark setting possibility)
White balance fine control functional addition

(1,500 Kelvin's fine control of the blueness/redness is possible with approximately 300 Kelvin marks)

1,6001,200 pixel picture quality improvement of mode

(Attendant upon picture quality improvement, the record quantity to the media somewhat decrease)
UnfocusedBing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 7, 2003, 4:18 AM   #2

Yipeee.

But will I be able to get this in the UK ???

Excellent News
dres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2003, 5:25 PM   #3

Guys...

I just saw this post and I'm as shocked as you are. Supposidly it originates from a web site in Japan. With 100% honesty, I know nothing about this. The text of what I read only mentions firmware so I don't see how the two added modes can be added.

The mode switch is different.

I strongly suspecct that's it's only a firmware update that changes some characteristics so that FZ1 will perform like FZ2. I've asked and hope to receive details ASAP.
Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2003, 5:48 PM   #4

Bob,

Thanks for looking into it. Here's a link to the Panasonic.jp website page that someone found: http://panasonic.jp/dc/fz1/dmw_vuz1.html
UnfocusedBing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2003, 7:29 PM   #5

Thanks for posting this, and thanks Bob for checking into it.

Can you also check on a "firmware" upgrade that will add a manual focus ring and flash shoe to my FZ1? I've heard of it -- I think the part number is something like DMC-FZ10 or something.

Seriously, I know a lot of FZ1 owners would welcome this firmware upgrade with open arms. Now then....wink-wink, nudge-nudge...I just happen to have a very good friend who is stationed in Japan...wink-wink, nudge-nudge....
EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2003, 8:30 AM   #6

Seriously, I know a lot of FZ1 owners would welcome this firmware upgrade with open arms. Now then....wink-wink, nudge-nudge...I just happen to have a very good friend who is stationed in Japan...wink-wink, nudge-nudge.... [/quote]

Since I don't read Japanese it would be very foolish of me to speculate anything at this time. But, since this is a firmware based issue it may very well be that the Japanese release of this "product" would not work with U.S. models.

If I hear anything I'll be sure to update you.
Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2003, 10:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic
Since I don't read Japanese it would be very foolish of me to speculate anything at this time. But, since this is a firmware based issue it may very well be that the Japanese release of this "product" would not work with U.S. models.
Here is the translated (babbelfish) version: http://babelfish.altavista.com/babel...p=ja_en&tt=url
Suerly they would eventually offer the upgrade for US fz1's.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2003, 9:33 PM   #8

i hope this firmware update really transforms my fz1 in a fz2
i just don't know how to remove the letring on my camera that says dmc-fz1.. i hope this package cames with the sd card and a sticker to put over the old letring :P
v1p0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2003, 4:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Looking at pictures of the FZ1 and FZ2 it appears that the mode switch has the same number of positions.
The only difference that I was able to spot is the icons on those positions.

I strongly suspect that there are no hardware differences between the two products.
alexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2003, 5:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexo
Quote:
Looking at pictures of the FZ1 and FZ2 it appears that the mode switch has the same number of positions.
The only difference that I was able to spot is the icons on those positions.

I strongly suspect that there are no hardware differences between the two products.
I have the FZ2, and my brother has an FZ1, and yes you appear to be correct. Visibly the only apparant different is that where the FZ1 has an icon of the 'camera' on the switch the FZ2 simply says P/A/S and further features (Appeture and Shutter priority) are configured in the menu. Oh and of course one says FZ1 and the other says FZ2!!!
Having said that I'm not planning on taking both cameras apart to see if there are any differences inside :shock:
btbeeston is offline   Reply With Quote