Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 13, 2009, 1:14 PM   #1

Default Panasonic DMC LX3 lens adaptors

Can anyone recommend a zoom lens adaptor for this camera

see item no 200357771258 or item no 170350711787 on EBAY

I am looking to increase the optical zoom range of this camera and would appreciate suggestions

Guy
guygamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 14, 2009, 4:08 AM   #2

anyone?
Old Jul 15, 2009, 6:53 AM   #3
Administrator

Chances are, you'd get pretty bad vignetting at most focal lengths, with significant optical degradation (soft edges, flare issues, lots of purple fringing) trying to use one of those 2x or 3x type converters on your Panasonic.

Panasonic makes an adapter for your camera. It's the Panasonic DMW-LC4. It's designed to allow the use of 46mm filters or a Panasonic DMW-LW46 Wide Angle Conversion Lens.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMW-.../dp/B001GNC7OW

It looks like Opteka makes one that acts as a "step up" adapter, allowing the use of 52mm filters.

http://www.amazon.com/Opteka-Adapter.../dp/B001N3DEG0

But, even with a step up type adapter, I'd expect optical degradation trying to use a Teleconverter with your camera, especially the 2x or 3x type converters you're looking at. I'd try to find a higher quality 1.4x to 1.7x type converter if you want to try one. But, you're probably better off getting a camera that has a lens with a longer focal length instead of spending money on a conversion lens.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2009, 8:47 AM   #4
Administrator

P.S.

The Olympus TCON-17 has a pretty good reputation. But, I don't know anyone that's tried one on a Panasonic LX-3, and they're a bit hard to find now. This is the adapter I'm talking about:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...rter_Lens.html

This model has 55mm filter threads, so you'd need a step-up ring to use it with either the Panasonic DMW-L4 (which has 46mm filter threads) or the Opteka model I mentioned in my last post (which has 52mm filter threads).

If you decide to try a TC, let us know how it works (and I'd expect a bit of optical degradation and vignetting). I would avoid the cheap 2x and 3x models you see on Ebay. Most of these adapter types only have good enough resolving power for Video cameras, and they have poor optical coatings. The higher resolution sensors found in models like your LX-3 place more demands on the lens quality needed for best results. So, you'd probably be better off just buying an inexpensive "super zoom" type camera if you need a longer focal length.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2009, 9:25 AM   #5

hi, and thanks for your help... I thought I would give you some background to my purchase of the LX3

I have had a succession of Canon Powershot A series, the best by far was the A620, but it was stolen.

I replaced it with the A570, but that broke pretty quickly, and was not warrantied covered (my fault, i bought it overseas and lost the receipt)

I replaced that with a A590, but was regularly disappointed with the results, especially of the Anti Shake and Face recognition that all too often gave me the opposite of what i expected, i.e. blurred results

I began looking for a replacement

Criteria:

lots of manual control - which rules out all the Panasonic compact zooms
small enough to drop in a baggy trouser pocket or bumbag - ruled out countless bridge cameras including Canon G10.
As good a lens and sensor as possible - as opposed to maximum MP - which attracted me back to Panasonic/Leica

I tried the Nikon P6000 in a store, and found the autofocus pretty poor and the quality of images not that great

I tried the Ricoh CX1 - like the results but missed the manual controls

I tried the Ricoh GX200 - liked the results but found the controls fiddly, the user interface messy, and the feel "cheap".

I chose the LX3, great results, drops in my pocket nicely, feels "classy", full manual controls (I use aperture priority a lot). Only minus is lack of decent zoom range. WhichI was hoping to address with an adaptor.

Canon SX200 was a genuine contender mind you, but can't put my finger on what put me off it...

Guy

P.S. I do also have a Panasonic DMC FZ50 which has a long zoom on it, but its too big for many kinds of photo jaunts!
Old Jul 20, 2009, 2:44 PM   #7

Old Jul 20, 2009, 2:56 PM   #8

Old Jul 20, 2009, 2:56 PM   #9

Old Jul 20, 2009, 2:57 PM   #10