Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 7, 2003, 12:24 PM   #1

Default IR Pictures with the FZ1

These are only test shots of the view from my front porch, but there has been some question as to whether or not the FZ1 can take IR pictures. The website link pretty much explains everything I did, but I mainly used the Night Portrait mode to "trick" the the rather automatic FZ1 into a longer exposure time for the dark IR filter.

Here's the link:

http://www.afn.org/~pilot/fz1ir

Comments, questions, especially advice are welcome and appreciated!
EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 8, 2003, 12:39 AM   #2

Nice color in your pics, but they are very soft. Did you try to sharpen them at all? I've seen results like these with the FZ cameras, but nothing comes close to the Sony's Nightshot mode IRs. And I wish something did because I just hate the look and feel of those Sonys!
koo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2003, 1:05 AM   #3

The primary reason they're soft is the slight breeze that was blowing at least some of the 8 seconds of exposure time caused the palmettos to blur a bit. As usual, with sharpening and grain present will be enhanced, so I didn't really care for the results.

Again, this wasn't a very good subject at all. I'll post better ones as I get time (and find better subjects) to replace them.
EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2003, 9:32 AM   #4

Given that IR doesn't focus in quite the same plane as the visible light, if I were trying to achieve best focus in the picture, particularly after having focused the camera without the IR filter in place, I'd probably be tempted to use the f6.5 option rather than f2.8 and avoid maximum telephoto. Yes, I know, ultra-cautious behaviour based on a complete lack of practical experience

Looking forward to your experiments providing more facts, Chris.
Thanks for the post and am looking forward to seeing more
normjackson is offline   Reply With Quote