Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 24, 2009, 5:53 PM   #1

Default Camera design flaw, am I doing something wrong?

I just bought the Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 and so far I've been pretty pleased with it, until I tried to take pictures holding on to the camera and moving around. The menu controls are situated right where the palm of my hand rests when I hold the camera. If I move to get a different angle I found that many times I would accidently press the menu and screw up taking a picture. This placement seems totally awkward and odd- am I missing something?
Clax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 25, 2009, 11:07 PM   #2

The problem is that these cameras are getting smaller and smaller and the LCDs bigger and bigger. As the size gets reduced, so is the amount of space available for the buttons. As a result, there is no empty space for your fingers and thumb and anywhere you hold, you'll end up pressing/touching a button and messing up something.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2009, 1:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
The problem is that these cameras are getting smaller and smaller and the LCDs bigger and bigger. As the size gets reduced, so is the amount of space available for the buttons. As a result, there is no empty space for your fingers and thumb and anywhere you hold, you'll end up pressing/touching a button and messing up something.
True. There's a minuscule textured zone there to place the tip of your thumb. And that's all.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2009, 2:10 PM   #4

The ZS1 has the same buttons as my TZ5 and more space due to a smaller LCD. I’ve had the TZ5 for well over a year and never accidentally pushed a button that I’m aware of. I don’t think I have ever had occasion to have the palm of my hand on the controls either.

It will probably sort itself out after you’ve had it a while.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2009, 9:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipe View Post
The ZS1 has the same buttons as my TZ5...
It may have the same buttons but they are either smaller or located slightly different (the mode dial on the ZS1/ZS3 is placed before the shutter (bad design IMO). As a result, your index finger sits on it as you reach for the shutter and if you are not careful, you'll turn the dial inadvertently and consequently end up with a different setting right before taking the picture.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote