Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 25, 2009, 2:23 PM   #1

Default FZ-28 macro questions.. HELP

Hello, I hope this dosen't sound to dumb. I am trying to use the macro on my camera to take photos of the humble bumble bees on my flowers. When I aim and hold down the button to shoot, it never focuses. I have tried to just use IA as well and it does the same thing. I have tried it with and with out zoom, in macro and in IA. What am I doing wrong. It is just a big blur. I am so new to this camera I am just trying to get the auto mode down before I move on to advanced settings.
Thank you for your time. KayC
KayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 25, 2009, 8:52 PM   #2

See that you do not zoom beyond 3x for close ranges. Alternatively, if the distance between you and the subject is more than a meter (3 ft), you can set the dial to macro mode and zoom to high magnification, but you need very steady hands or a tripod or solid base for the camera to rest on. For macros, since you mostly close in on a subject, I have found it helps to keep the focusing mode on spot-focus.
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2009, 10:46 PM   #3

Thank you for your reply, but what is spot focus??? Thanks again, KayC
Old Jul 26, 2009, 4:30 AM   #4

The easiest way to take macros, especially is you a new user of the camera, is to use the built in Macro setting. I tend to keep the zoom down to a minimum and simple get as close to the object as I can. This is not always possible so if you do use zoom you will find that the nearest point you can get to the subject, and keep it in focus, increases with the amount of zoom used.

Spot focus allows you to focus on a very small area. In macro mode hold down the Q Menu button move left to to the AF menus and down to spot. The focusing point on the screen will turn a lot smaller square indicating the exact point of focus. As there is a very shallow depth of field in macros you will need to focus on the main part of the subject you are taking.
Pixmate700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2009, 2:28 AM   #5

KayC, you must have received CD containing the user manual in PDF format. If not, the manual can also be downloaded - link should be available if you search in this forum itself. Please go through the manual carefully and get to know what each stop on the dial and each button on the camera does. Instructions on how to use auto focus appear on page 87 of the manual I have - it may slightly differ depending on the location where the camera is meant for sale. As Pixmate has suggested, it is better to get as close to the subject as possible and shoot without zoom as much as possible.
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2009, 9:05 AM   #6

Heres a couple closeups I took today in macro mode. First one with flash and second without. Using flash meant a smaller f stop (f3.4) which gives a greater DoF and a slightly sharper images compared with the non flash (f2.8)

http://images.fotopic.net/yzl0c2.jpg

http://images.fotopic.net/yzl0c3.jpg
Old Jul 27, 2009, 11:03 AM   #7

You're getting the hang of it.
I actually like the non-flash better. Flash gives harsh straight-on lighting. Sometimes texture is better shown by side lighting.

Large depth of field is usually not too much of a problem with a small sensor, but if you need more, shoot in aperture priority. If that slows down the shutter too much for you, use a tripod. You'll get better results with a tripod anyway, because it's easier to focus without the camera moving around on you.

Here are a couple of flower closeups (technically not macros) I shot in available light with an FZ28. It was good light, though, filtered light in a greenhouse:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3559/...bcacc9c7_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3571/...53cae8f1_o.jpg

The second one could use some sharpening, as resizing it for Flickr unsharpened it a bit, but it looks good printed 8x10 which is what I was shooting for.

Last edited by rfdandrea; Jul 27, 2009 at 11:07 AM.
rfdandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2009, 11:00 PM   #8

Thank you for the replys. I do have the manual and plan on reading it again, but it dosen't seem to give much detail. I am loving my new camera. I just love the flower photos. If I resize in Adobe PSE 6 will I loose some of the clarity of the photos?? Do I have to resize to post a photo here?? Thank you again. Kay
Old Aug 3, 2009, 6:20 AM   #9

If you resize pictures to post to the web then make sure you don't overwrite the originals by saving them with either a different name or in a different folder. I also would suggest that you keep a backup of you pictures on another hard drive or computer just in case you lose the originals. I know to my detriment as I lost most of the pictures from my first digital camera when I had a hard disk faliure.

As to posting picture here I would suggest you join a site like either flickr.com or fotopic.com (these are two I use but there are many others) and upload you images there and link to them. Most sites have a size limit to what you can post so read the rules. I tend to keep my picture to under 1mb in size by reducing the image to around 1000x750. Once you have posted your pictures view them, then copy the link and paste it into you message on this site, sample below.

There are other ways of doing this but I find this way works for me.

http://images.fotopic.net/yzer9f.jpg
Old Aug 3, 2009, 1:51 PM   #10

After you crop and resize your pictures to a different resolution for the web, export them and apply a little sharpening to the exported file. Sharpening should be the last thing you do. Yes you will lose detail, but a little sharpening will create the illusion of detail. Note I said "a little." Many people oversharpen.

I also recommend a site like flickr. I almost signed up for a Picasa web albums account, but then I read their user agreement. Although I would still own my photos, it gives Google a license to use them and to let other people use them. That's like not owning your pictures at all. Alternatively, you can watermark them or place a copyright notice on them, but I hate doing that as it destroys the "look." Best to find an online album site that's not owned by the Evil Empire.

Last edited by rfdandrea; Aug 3, 2009 at 1:55 PM.
rfdandrea is offline   Reply With Quote