Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 12, 2004, 3:08 AM   #21

Default Normcar - yet another comment re your Rebel

I should have pointed out the two candlelit shots were NOT posed - they were simply shot as part of a series as the candles were lit in the laundryroom and carried out into the dinidng room.

There were 8 shots in this series. The boy leaning on his hands looking at the cake was entirely spontaneous, not directed, and he only held the pose for about a second before blowing out the candles.

This ability to shoot 8 shots, focusing, as action unfolds - I would guess the whole series took maybe a minute - and several of the shots were withing a couple of seconds of eachother - this is what the Rebel offers that the digicam/s can't.

BTW I don't know if it applies to your Canon digicam or the FZ10, but the way to get quick shots with the Pro 90 IS is to pick an area on which to focus (this can be quite a large area because of the large depth of field. Now push MF (manual focus) this locks the focus where it is.

Now switch to M - and set the shutter and fstop to the point they were at when you focussed. You will now have a shutter lag of aprox 0.1 second, since the camera does not have to focus or meter before firing. It sounds slow and awkward but is not.

The donwside is that you need to run a series of tests so you know how much depth of field you have at all zooms and fstops. This should be done with all zoom lenses anyhow.

Also you should take a tripod shot at all standard zooms, ISOs, and fstops to get a perfectly exposed image without camera motion at each step - this gives you the knowledge of what the camera CAN do so you can analyze the results you actually get under field conditions.

These tests do take maybe an afternoon to shoot and analyze but I find it fun. And informative.l

Anyhow, best wishes
Humble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2004, 3:08 AM   #22

Default Normcar - yet another comment re your Rebel

I should have pointed out the two candlelit shots were NOT posed - they were simply shot as part of a series as the candles were lit in the laundryroom and carried out into the dinidng room.

There were 8 shots in this series. The boy leaning on his hands looking at the cake was entirely spontaneous, not directed, and he only held the pose for about a second before blowing out the candles.

This ability to shoot 8 shots, focusing, as action unfolds - I would guess the whole series took maybe a minute - and several of the shots were withing a couple of seconds of eachother - this is what the Rebel offers that the digicam/s can't.

BTW I don't know if it applies to your Canon digicam or the FZ10, but the way to get quick shots with the Pro 90 IS is to pick an area on which to focus (this can be quite a large area because of the large depth of field. Now push MF (manual focus) this locks the focus where it is.

Now switch to M - and set the shutter and fstop to the point they were at when you focussed. You will now have a shutter lag of aprox 0.1 second, since the camera does not have to focus or meter before firing. It sounds slow and awkward but is not.

The donwside is that you need to run a series of tests so you know how much depth of field you have at all zooms and fstops. This should be done with all zoom lenses anyhow.

Also you should take a tripod shot at all standard zooms, ISOs, and fstops to get a perfectly exposed image without camera motion at each step - this gives you the knowledge of what the camera CAN do so you can analyze the results you actually get under field conditions.

These tests do take maybe an afternoon to shoot and analyze but I find it fun. And informative.l

Anyhow, best wishes
Old Jan 12, 2004, 9:54 PM   #23

Humble

Thanks for posting some of your photos. I certainly appreciate how you work with light. As an art instructor I can truly respect the mood evoking techniques.

I also thank you for some of the testing tips that you offer. Sounds like a great idea and it certainly makes sense.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2004, 2:06 AM   #24

Default Normcar - thanks for the kind words

Interesting you are an art instructor.

I spent two years as a full-time student at the Art Student's League when I was 45, studying portraiture with Dan Greene (who was a regular instructor there at that time) and drawing with Mr Hall.

Best wishes Humble
Old Jan 14, 2004, 2:31 PM   #25

Humble

I love it, good excuse for being a bit nutz! Nobody takes an artist seriously.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote