Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 10, 2010, 11:52 AM   #11

Get one you will enjoy. I agree that manuals are more on the "technical" side. Very few will give you "why" you should chose a setting but manuals are a "must read".

I guess that's why this forum is a success.

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010, 3:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
My take on the subject is the following...you buy a camera, you are not happy with its performance/ergonomics/manual/whatever, if you have the option to return it, do so and buy something else you like better. Trying to justify the purchase of a camera is the worse thing one can do. In the end if you are not totally happy with your purchase, you won't be using it much and eventually you'll end up buying something else anyway. So, return the ZS1 while you can.
+1 but also ...

I am not sure why you would expect a product manual to tell you how to take good photos. Car manuals don't tell you how to become a better driver and oven manuals don't tell you how to become a better cook.

I think the ZS1 IQ is probably better than any Nikon P&S pocket cam ever made but I am certain that it is better than any current model Nikon. To each his/her own though ..
Old May 10, 2010, 3:55 PM   #13

Are we judging the camera or the manual (lack of it?).
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010, 4:12 PM   #14
LEK

Hi. I'm sorry you are having trouble with your ZS3. I just got the ZS3 this week after using a Canon A710IS for years just keeping it on auto and being very happy with my photos. I empathize with how you feel, I also felt very overwhelmed when I got the new camera and wasn't sure where to begin, and the manual isn't very good; I also immediately hated the glare in the LCD screen. If you really hate the camera, you should return it and get something else, but I thought I could share some of my experience with it this week, since I went from wanting to throw it out the window on the first day to probably keeping it now. The manual seemed really overwhelming but when I went through it item by item with camera in hand it made more sense, and then I looked up terms I didn't understand, and given some time I figured out alot more than I thought I would at first. I still have a list of unanswered questions about settings that I will probably eventually post on this forum, but it's a lot smaller list than I had at first. So my first advice would be to keep trying, it got easier for me, hopefully it will for you. I wasn't really crazy about the first pictures that I took, but I changed the settings to the 10 megapixels, and the "fine" quality setting and that seemed to help alot, if you haven't done that you might try it. I put it on all the "intelligent" settings, iauto, iexposure, and iISO, and was pretty happy with pictures I took yesterday(though I'm trying to learn how to use some of the less "intelligent" settings). Now I am taking mostly photos outdoors because that's what I like, indoors may be a whole different story I can't comment on. As for the glare, what I found is that my eye was simply not trained to use an LCD since my Canon had a viewfinder, and that with some time my eye could sort of learn to see through the glare. It's not great, but usable, whereas at first I couldn't use it at all. There are several items you can buy to help this further, the one I'm going with is an antiglare sheet that goes over the LCD called a boxman, and I think some other posters advised on other options. Anyway, I don't know if any of this helps, maybe it's just not the camera for you, but I've really shifted my opinion in the past few days so I thought I could give you some hope. Good luck.
LEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010, 4:41 PM   #15

LEK-

As Tullio mentioned. If you are unhappy with the Panasonic ZS1, exchange it, return it, or sell it. There is no sense at all in soldiering on with a camera you really dislike.

As you can see there are a lot of folks, myself included, who like the ZS1 camera.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010, 5:35 PM   #16
LEK

No, I think I didn't make myself clear. I don't want to make this post about me, but I want to clarify, I'm liking the ZS3 more every day, have resolved most of my original concerns and will probably keep it. I was just trying to share with the OP that I had issues at first that for me came from being intimidated and having some bad initial impressions, and I think for me it was also that it was just different than my old camera that I was very fond of, so it was hard to adjust to something new. The point I was trying to make is that as I worked with the camera I liked it more and more and the problems became non issues. I'm pretty happy with it right now. Perhaps I overempathized too much with the OP and didn't make my point clear, but my point was, "I had problems at first too, but I resolved them and like the camera now"!
LEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010, 7:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericka View Post
I have the same camera and hate the user manual. It's terrible. ...
I'd never make a decision to keep or sell a camera based on how good/bad the manual is. If I like the camera, I can find the answer to just about anything I want to know by reading reviews and asking questions on the many forums available on the net. How good is it to have a poor camera, which comes with a very comprehensive and well written user manual?

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote