Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 27, 2009, 11:17 PM   #1

Default Lumix DMC-ZS1 - VERY UNHAPPY

I just purchased a Lumix DMC-ZS1 and I am extremely unhappy with it.

First, the manual is nothing more than a catalog of commands. While we have all come to expect this from the Japanese Mfgrs, I am getting tired of these companies who are so hardware centric that they dont give a darn about helping their customers to actually use their products effectively. I am wondering if anyone knows of a book/tutorial/web site that actually explains how to use this camera?

I previously had a Nikon and I was very happy with it. I find the LCD screen on the Lumix to be inadequate for composure in bright light condifions, and I live in FL. The photos are very muddy compared to the Nikon and there are so many settings and options that I feel like I could spend my youth trying different things until I find what works.

It seems many people like the Lumix camera - please - someone - tell me why I shouldn't take this thing back and get another Nikon?

Thanks,
John Gargano
johngargano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2009, 11:49 AM   #2

I just took a look at the ZS1 manual and it seems a little better than my TZ5 manual, which I never had any complaints about. And never failed to find what I was looking for in. The ZS1 manual looks pretty detailed. The manual breaks down every scene mode and seems to give fairly good directions for using everything on the camera. I have yet to see a camera manual that is a full photography course.

My TZ5 LCD screen is reported to be better than average in bright sun, and I have a very hard time with it in full sun – I also live in Florida. The only LCDs I know of that are adequate in bright sun are the old Sony transflective LCDs, and they haven’t made them for years. Transflective screens don’t look as good when backlit, but they are great in the sun. I wish they would revisit the idea. Transflective screens reflect light back through the LCDs, so the brighter the light the brighter the image.

It is my first camera without an optical finder and I really miss having one. But a 10X or 12X zoom in a pocket camera is going to have only a LCD in any brand. That zoom range is impractical for an optical finder and an EVF takes too much space. I don’t think you are going to be happy with any modern pocket superzoom in the sun. There are add-on fold up sunshields you can buy, and I have considered making my own.

I get generally good photos with my TZ5 and it is my understanding that the ZS1 is at least as good. You might try the “vivid” color setting if you find the pictures muddy.

Or just take it back and get a Nikon if you don’t need the zoom range in a small camera. Nikon doesn’t seem cutting edge right now in small superzooms.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2009, 12:10 PM   #3

I'm sorry you chosed the ZS1 and not the ZS3, which is a different species in terms of LCD resolution (double) and HD video capabilities.

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/panasonic-lumix-dmc-zs1/4505-6501_7-33529153.html?tag=api&subj=re

3" LCD for the ZS3 is considered one of the best in any PS. Just $100 plus.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2009, 1:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordo View Post
I'm sorry you chosed the ZS1 and not the ZS3, which is a different species in terms of LCD resolution (double) and HD video capabilities.

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/panasonic-lumix-dmc-zs1/4505-6501_7-33529153.html?tag=api&subj=re

3" LCD for the ZS3 is considered one of the best in any PS. Just $100 plus.
The TZ5 has exactly the same LCD as the ZS3. And it is almost useless in the bright Florida sun.

The ZS3 manual has about the same level of detail as the ZS1 manual.

The photo quality for still photos is the same as the ZS1 according to all reviews.

Your post has nothing to do with his problems.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2009, 5:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipe View Post
The TZ5 has exactly the same LCD as the ZS3. And it is almost useless in the bright Florida sun.

The ZS3 manual has about the same level of detail as the ZS1 manual.

The photo quality for still photos is the same as the ZS1 according to all reviews.

Your post has nothing to do with his problems.
He's talking about the ZS1, not the TZ5.

From Panasonic site:

Lumix ZS1 LCD data:

LCD Monitor 2.7" TFT Screen LCD Display (230K dots)
Field of View : approx. 100%
AUTO Power LCD mode, Power LCD mode, High-Angle LCD.

Lumix ZS3 LCD data:

LCD Monitor 3.0", 3:2 Polycrystalline TFT LCD Display (460K dots)
Field of View : approx. 100%
AUTO Power LCD mode, Power LCD mode

Check your info. And take it easy.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2009, 12:12 AM   #6

My take on the subject is the following...you buy a camera, you are not happy with its performance/ergonomics/manual/whatever, if you have the option to return it, do so and buy something else you like better. Trying to justify the purchase of a camera is the worse thing one can do. In the end if you are not totally happy with your purchase, you won't be using it much and eventually you'll end up buying something else anyway. So, return the ZS1 while you can.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2009, 8:35 AM   #7

I love my ZS1. I use it every day. I have a Delkin Devices cover for my LCD which opens and cuts the glare in sunlight. I also have a Leica D lux 4 which is great. I mention this so you know that i play with good cameras and find the Lumix wonderful also.
I have found that Panasonic has some quality problems. My TZ3 had to be exchanged 3 times before i got one that was spot on focusing but when they work right, they are amazing little cameras.
Caryl
carylwithay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2010, 9:12 PM   #8

Default Panasonic Lumix DMC ZS1

I have the same camera and hate the user manual. It's terrible. Here's the most helpful information that I've found so far.

http://www.panasonic.net/avc/lumix/c...functions.html
ericka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010, 11:08 AM   #9

@ericka,

Good post for the ZS1. I happen to like mine very much and I am aware of the other iterations that have subsequently come out. There will be others above and beyond these and with possibly more features and capabilities.

Suffice to say for me the ZS1 is simple as can be and it takes very good pictures. I wanted a no think P&S and it pretty much does what I expect.

I have other cameras that are much better in other ways and has many drill down menus and so on. It's a trade off and as Tullio mentioned don't hang on to a camera you aren't happy with. If you can trade it in or get a refund do it. Keep looking until there happens to be something that fits your needs.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010, 11:15 AM   #10
Super Moderator

So people actually read the manuals ><
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote