Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 4, 2009, 11:02 AM   #1

Default DVD Burner with FZ35

Does anyone know if the FZ35 will be able to directly connect to any of the various DVD burners that are on the market?

I would like to be able to record my videos in slide show form directly on to a DVD-Ram without all the editing and converting hassle that seems to be what most people do. These videos are family things and I have no need to edit them. Besides that, I'm lazy.
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 13, 2009, 8:33 PM   #2

I'm not sure I fully understand the question....
I would think but not 100% certain that your FZ35 saves your video in either an AVI,
Mpeg or DV codec. either one of these you could simply just drag to your desktop
and burn to disc.

I cant think of any cd/dvd drive that would burn to a slideshow adding a crossfade
between your clips. There are apps such as those by Roxio that one could simply
add the clips to create a simple slideshow and burn.

http://www.roxio.com/enu/store/cddvd...ck=m_pro_cddvd

As for converting the clips you could use MpegStreamclip, it's free and, would convert those short clips to other codecs rather fast.

http://www.squared5.com/

Depending on your standalone DVD player and, the video codec you may need to convert them.
James G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2009, 9:07 PM   #3

First: Any device that provides video-out playback (regardless of the format it uses to record) with a compatible cable for your DVD burner, will WORK 100% (be it RCA, S-video, hdmi or firewire).

Second: If your videos are 60 minutes long, then is going to take you 60 minutes long to capture/record in realtime + the time the DVD recorder takes to finalize the disc + the time it will take you to setup the cables/etc

Third: The quality of the DVD created this way will be inferior to the original file.

Fourth: A simple drag-and-drop of your files to your computer will allows you to generate high quality DVDs using the software provided by the manufacturer. These days, is rare when a camera doesn't have some sort of software to convert or create DVD's.

By the way, the FZ35 most likely will record in AVCHD Lite (h.264 MOV or MP4) and Motion JPEG too (AVI).

Last edited by subc; Aug 13, 2009 at 9:15 PM.
subc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2009, 9:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by subc View Post
By the way, the FZ35 most likely will record in AVCHD Lite (h.264 MOV or MP4) and Motion JPEG too (AVI).
High-definition movie mode, AVCHD Lite format, 720p (1280 x 720) resolution.

Your 100% correct ...
His FZ35 is not going to have firewire, sounds to me he is seeking simplicity
in just burning to disc and, maybe just a simple crossfade transition between short clips without having to capture to an app such as Final cut for editing.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 11:45 PM   #5

As a rule of thumb, I tend to look back and see what software was included with previous models, such as the FZ28, this way I can have an idea of what what to expect for upcoming cameras (such as the FZ35).

According to this page:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...28-review.html

The included software for the FZ28 was: ARCSoft MediaImpression and Panorama maker (picture/video viewing and making panoramas). Also SilkyPix Developer Studio (for handling RAW images). Nothing on the lines of simple DVD authoring/burning.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 6:33 AM   #6

Its funny that you mention the FZ28 cause I have one however, I really paid no thought
of its included software or video capabilities. I'm not sure why this thought never came to mind to be honest.

I never even installed the software cause I already have everything I need on my Mac.
Nevertheless, one would think the FZ35 and FZ28 would have included at least a simple
application for DVD authorizing and burning cause it has the capability.

Not to mention without knowing the actual OS Sitter Dog is using its rather hard to make a good recommendation. I'll step out on a limb and say he is more than likely running Windows. If that is indeed the operating system I would think he could just use the Windows Movie Maker...

Import his clips , add a simple transition and burn..
Old Aug 15, 2009, 8:49 AM   #7

I guess he's searching to go straight from the camera to the burner. Doesn't the quality of the result depend on the quality of his video board?

BTW: I have a Lumix ZS3 and the included software, PhotofunStudio gives you the option to burn a DVD in two formats: AVCHD Lite or DVD video. You select the clips and just burn them. Couldn’t be simpler.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2009, 8:00 PM   #8

Thats the same way I was reading the original posting....
The video card does not affect the burn quality, the software used for authorizing,compressing and or converting however does,not to mention the obvious, the burner and DVD itself....
Old Aug 31, 2009, 6:22 PM   #9

Thanks for the comments, folks. I may have picked up something that will work. Right now, I can burn my 720p videos from my Canon TX1 directly to a Panasonic recorder with hard drive. When I get a few chapters on the hard drive, I just pop a DVD into the Pany and record. It may not be a perfect system but it's sure simple,......stills and videos mixed chronologically, right from the camera.

When my FZ35 gets here, I will try that,.......just play the FZ35 as a slideshow into the recorder from the camera. Hopefully, the Pany recorder will do all the necessary conversions etc. I realize I may lose some of the HD but I find the wide view SD perfectly fine for my purposes, and the family seems to like the results.

I guess I was hoping that one of the many "direct" DVD recorders would work and I could use that to archive my clips in HD.
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote