Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 11, 2009, 9:55 PM   #1

Default ZS3 / TZ7 - can you force slower shutter speeds?

Hi,

I know the TZ7 is a point-and-shoot with almost no manual control, but is there a scene mode or other setting that would allow a slower shutter speed suitable for shots of waterfalls with the water blurred?

Presumably the sports mode would give you a nice sharp, see-every-drop type shot, but how about the opposite? The fireworks mode would presumably be too slow and over-expose everything. How about one of the indoor modes?

I'm trying to decide between the Panasonic and the Canon SX200IS. The Canon has full manual control, but in practice with my current camera the only time I ever change out of the more automated scene modes is when I use shutter-priority settings for shots with moving water.

Any comments or advice appreciated.

Thanks.
nathan321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 12, 2009, 10:04 AM   #2

Not such a good pick, but this one came in Portrait mode. The effect is 'almost' there. ZS3, f3.3, 1/10, ISO 80.

Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2009, 10:46 AM   #3

Well, if you play with the photo a little is not so, so bad:

Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2009, 10:54 AM   #4

Yes, you can try different modes to accomplish what you'd accomplish with a camera that offers full manual controls. However, it's a hit and miss to begin with. For instance, Sunset mode emphasizes red and orange tones. If you take regular pictures in this mode, they will look way too warm with an orange cast. Night modes will give you a longer shutter speed but the white balance may be way off. If you like to create effects related to either aperture (DoF control) or shutter speed (cottony effect on waterfalls, etc.), you should avoid cameras with no manual control. They will drive you nuts.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2009, 9:14 PM   #5

Thanks for that Ordo. That second shot in particular looks quite good where you've brought out the darker green shades for the trees.

Tullio - I suspect lack of any manual control would eventually drive me nuts if I had only one camera, but then I can always pull out my existing camera (an older Olympus UltraZoom) if I want to control everything. I just don't want to carry the existing one everywhere because it doesn't fit in a pocket.

Since my previous post I've also found out about the Fuji F70 EXR, which has apparently only just come out but is available in my local store at AUD$100 less than the Canon. The F70 is physically smaller than the Panasonic or Canon, but "only" a 10x zoom, however it has a full manual mode. It also has Program AE and Aperture Priority AE modes, but not a Shutter Priority mode. The F70 also has some fancy-pants effect modes where it takes between two and four shots and automatically blends them together for you so that, e.g., you can do a portrait with a more exagerated blur effect in the background. Not sure if there are any professional reviews available yet (but I'm about to go Google it...).

Thanks again.
nathan321 is offline   Reply With Quote