Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 17, 2009, 6:48 AM   #11
Administrator

I'd be tempted to send it to Transcend if it didn't work correctly in your camera and see if they'd replace it with a newer version.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2009, 8:58 AM   #12

Thanks Jim and Ordo. I think I'll try the SanDisk Extreme III 8 gig card this time and send the Transcend back to Amazon when I receive it. The SanDisk has a transfer speed of 20 MB/s which is twice the recommended speed required by the camera. Hope it works. I'll give a report back in a few day.
rocfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2009, 9:02 AM   #13
Administrator

The person I saw having a problem with the Transcend said his tested at 19MB/Second using HD Tune. So, something else besides transfer speed is probably going wrong.

Again, I saw multiple posters say they worked fine in their ZS3. So, I don't know if that's indicative of differences between cameras (perhaps a different chipset version used in some cameras during a production run that's impacting compatibility), or if it's related to the card's chipset or firmware (where you may find that newer versions of the same card model work fine).
Old Aug 17, 2009, 9:08 AM   #14
Administrator

BTW, Sandisk has newer 30MB/Second SDHC cards out now, too. But, you shouldn't need anywhere near that kind of speed for the video files your camera produces.

http://www.sandisk.com/products/imag...hc-cards-.aspx
Old Aug 17, 2009, 3:58 PM   #15

I called Panasonic this morning and explained the problem I'm having. The service rep. I spoke with made an educated guess that it's a bad memory card and the only way to find out is to use a new one and see what happens. The downside is waiting for the new San Disk to arrive to find out. I also just received another new Transcend card and I'm very tempted to try it, but if it doesn't work either I'll still question whether the card is fast enough for the camera (this version anyway). So I'll play it safe and wait for the San Disk.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 8:39 PM   #16

Hope the SanDisk works rocfish.
BTW, I’m finding some oddities in my ZS3:
  • In Normal Mode the zoom goes just to 3X. If I want the full 12X I need to switch to IA.
  • But the menus are contradictory. In IA you get summary menus and you need to go to Normal Mode to get the whole controls! It’s absurd. I’m always switching from one to another. Why not just get one only and effective Automatic Mode with all the menus at your hand?
  • Then you have MS1, MS2 and SCN with almost the same choices and settings. What for?
  • Not to talk about the loose wheel. Panasonic should fix this problem in my camera!
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2009, 11:23 AM   #17
Administrator

I think you are seeing "Digital Zoom" kick in when using IA mode (more apparent magnification compared to the normal 12x zoom range). You'll have the full 12x optical zoom range in all modes, regardless of settings.

Personally, I keep Digital Zoom disabled on cameras with that feature, to make sure I don't accidentally use it, degrading image quality.

If you want to have it available in other modes, go into your record menus and set Digital Zoom to On. But, I'd suggest you just leave it off and crop the image later with an image editor if desired. All Digital Zoom is doing is cropping the image (removing the outside edges, leaving the portion in the middle to simulate more optical zoom), then enlarging it again to the full resolution image size using interpolation techniques, adding pixels that were not captured by the camera's sensor, based on the values of adjacent pixels (which can degrade image quality).
Old Aug 18, 2009, 11:28 AM   #18

Ordo, when did you buy your camera? I purchased mine a few weeks ago and the wheel seems tight. I bet they have read the feed back on the wheel and made a production change. If they did, perhaps they would upgrade your camera and fix the wheel?
Old Aug 18, 2009, 11:52 AM   #19

I checked it Jim (and thanks for all your help!). There’s even an icon that shows the zoom: 3X in Normal Mode, 12X for all the other modes. Digital zoom ON OFF is inactive in Normal Mode in my camera, and it’s OFF in all other modes. Software problems? I could download a new version, but that prohibition of non Lumix spare batteries keeps me out cause I have two of them.

rocfish: I bought the camera in Beijing on 9 May. First cameras came all with this problem. Agh!
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2009, 11:56 AM   #20
Administrator

That doesn't sound right at all (unless they've got a bug in the way the zoom is being displayed versus the actual zoom amount). What focal length are you seeing in the EXIF when zoomed in all the way using non IA modes?

Most image editors can display the camera settings used (including the focal length).