Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 18, 2009, 1:36 PM   #21

No bug Jim. You can "see" the zoom differences.
Just tried a pick:

4.10 focal distance in Normal Mode (3X in the display).
49.20 focal distance in IA (12X in the display).
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2009, 11:23 AM   #22

Update of this problem. The 3X zoom in Normal Mode is not OK. Not at all. Panasonic told me to bring the camera to a technical service.
The good thing about Panasonic: I bought the camera in Beijing, China, but I live in Buenos Aires, Argentina. No problem. World wide guaranty.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 7:13 PM   #23

Here's an Update on the problem I have been having with the camera freezing video on playback.

I got in a new San Disk Extreme III 8 gig class 6 card to try and see if it would record and play HD video as it's supposed to. The good news is that it works perfectly!

That means that the original card I first used is either defective or not compatible with the camera. It was a Transcend class 6 card with 16 gigs. I'll be returning it for a refund. If I can only get a replacment, I'll let you know if the new Transcend card works. Thanks Jim and Ordo for your help.
rocfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2009, 9:23 AM   #24

Good for you rocfish.

Well. This is weird. Before sending the Lumix to service, I changed some settings (from 4:3 to 16:9) and the zoom acted perfectly. I went back to 4:3 and 3:2 and voilá! No problem. The zoom is OK. Who knows...
Old Aug 21, 2009, 3:47 PM   #25

Zoom enigma solved!
If you chose Macro Zoom, you'll get 3X zoom in Normal Mode, which is reasonably. I love this camera!
Old Aug 23, 2009, 9:12 PM   #26

Glad you solved the issue.

I've been using a Transcend 16GB Class 6 SDHC, but in a FX150 instead.
No issues at all, records 720p video up to 2GB which averaged to about 20 minutes.

It's seems to be facter than the Sandisk Class 6 when transfering to PC, anyone else notice this?
splunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2009, 2:12 PM   #27

Just FYI, I use the Transcend 16GB Class 6 card with my ZS3 and have no problems including filling 8GB worth of photos and videos on a recent trip.

The download speed from them using my laptop's built in card reader is great, it transfered all 8GB in just a few minutes.

Most memory cards have a long warranty I would check with Transcend and see what they can do for you.
zapwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2009, 2:22 PM   #28
Administrator

I've seen the same thing reported by multiple ZS3 owners (Transcend 16GB Class 6 cards work fine). They have a lifetime warranty:

http://www.transcendusa.com/Products...o=1&Func2No=13
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2010, 12:05 PM   #29

I've had a similiar problem pop up with ADATA Class 10 16Gb device in my DMC-ZS3.

The card worked fine for the longest time, then after writing a video it came up with a memory card error.

Put it in a PC Card reader just fine.

Formatted it in the PC with different SD formatters and the camera still won't recognize it.

The weird thing is a 2nd 16GB Class 10 (bought at the same time, same brand) which had formatted and worked fine when inserted has the same "Card error" message.

Both cards seem fine in the PC and now neither works in the camera when both previously did.

Weird or expected for Class 10 early cards?
PPatla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2010, 12:16 PM   #30
Administrator

What file system are you using when formatting it? I'd make sure to use FAT32 if doing it from a PC for a card that size (Windows will have a drop down list of File System types when formatting a card).

Make sure to Safely Remove it (right click on the card under "My Computer" and use the eject choice to make sure all cached writes have been flushed to it).

If it still doesn't work, try the Panasonic SD Formatter (it will work with non Panasonic Cards). You'll see a download link at the bottom of this page:

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...rmatter20.html

If it still won't work... try using Windows Disk Admin to remove any partitions it may have on it. Then, format it again using FAT32 and/or the Panasonic SD Formatter.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote