Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 16, 2009, 10:22 AM   #1

Default Please help with zs3 camera or memory card problem

I just received the Lumix zs3 camera and the Transcend SDHC 16 gig, class 6 memory card and here's my problem: After recording HD video to the memory card and then playing back on the camera monitor, the video locks up after about 3 or 4 seconds of play and a message comes up on the screen saying "READ ERROR PLEASE CHECK THE CARD". It also happens on recording WVGA video but locks up after about 20 seconds on playback.

Recording regular pictures the memory card seems to do just fine.

I am wondering if the card is defective, or the card is not fast enough for recording video. Or is the camera defective? I have ordered another memory card because I couldn't find them locally, but now I'm worried I need to go to another brand or different version. Is any one using the Transcend SDHC 16 gig class 6 card to record HD video on this camera? Your help is appreciated.
rocfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 16, 2009, 10:41 AM   #2
Administrator

I'd try formatting the card using the camera's menu choice for format and see if that corrects the issues before jumping to any conclusions about any kind of compatibility problem (or defective camera/sensor). It could be a FAT corruption issue, which can easily happen if you delete images from a PC and don't use the "Safely Remove/Eject" features of your operating system to make sure all writes in memory have been written to the card.

If formatting it again using the camera's menu choice for format didn't work, I'd probably try this utility using a card reader. You'll see a download link at the bottom of the page:

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...formatter.html

But, I'd still format it using the camera's menu choice for format before using it again. Personally, I always reformat my cards prior to every reuse, no exceptions. That way, I always start out with a fresh file allocation table, just the way the camera expects it, since it's performing the format.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2009, 12:02 PM   #3

Thanks Jim for your reply. I forgot to mention I did try re-formatting the card using the camera but it didn't help. I just checked out the Panasonic support page for re-formatting but I didn't see the Transcend card listed as one of "applicable to" for the software. Maybe I missed something.

And the question also goes back to: Is anyone successfully using the Transcend SDHC 16 gig, class 6 card for recording Hd video on the ZS3 camera?
Old Aug 16, 2009, 12:16 PM   #4
Administrator

They're only listing the cards they manufacturer. Their SD formatting utility still works with other brands of SD or SDHC cards.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 3:54 PM   #5

Thanks Jim. I downloaded the utility and formatted the card. Unfortunately on playback the video freezes and the camera displays the same message as before.

One thing I forgot to mention in my original post is that I downloaded the video file from the card on to my computer to see if all of the video file I shot was actually on the card. It was. But when you played the clip on the computer, there was a momentary black glitch at about the same point in the video as the card error message came up with on the camera. After the glitch, the video played fine for the remainder of the clip. So would it be possible for the card to have a "bad place" in it that basically glitches the video? (I thought drop outs were a thing of the past when we went from video tape to memory cards!?)
Old Aug 16, 2009, 4:03 PM   #6
Administrator

I don't know the answer. But, I wouldn't assume the card is defective. It could be indicative of some kind of compatibility issue with the card, too.

Have you got the latest firmware for your camera installed? If not, I'd try updating it and see if a newer version makes any difference. The current version for your Panasonic ZS3 is now 1.2 (released in June 2009). You'll see a section on this page showing you how to check to see what version your camera is running:

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...ZS3/index.html
Old Aug 16, 2009, 4:46 PM   #7

Jim you're really going the extra mile to help me and can't thank you enough but I checked and I do have the latest firmware 1.2 installed in the camera. Strange situation. Maybe it is some compatability issue with this card. When I bought the camera on Amazon, the site recommended this card with this camera so I just assumed it would be the right one.

Alright ZS3 camera owners, what memory card are you using that works with recording and playing back HD video. Anyone?...Anyone?
Old Aug 16, 2009, 5:30 PM   #8
Administrator

I did some digging using Google, and I found one poster on another forum indicating a problem with them, which he thought was strange because his cards tested much faster than Video should need using HD Tune.

But, I also found posts from multiple users saying their Transcend Class 6 Cards work fine in the ZS3 (including users mentioning 8GB, 16GB and 32GB Card Sizes). So, there could be a difference in some card versions causing some type of compatibility quirk with your camera model (as it's not uncommon for internal chipsets used to change during a card model's production).
Old Aug 16, 2009, 7:05 PM   #9

What do you think my next step is? As I mentioned earlier I have another identical Transcend card on order due to arrive Monday or Tuesday. I could send it back and order another brand (if I just knew which one to order). I also noticed that Transcend make a card that is also a class 6 and they tout it as a "video card". They have just released it and their website says it handles video better.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 10:52 PM   #10

SanDisk
Ulltra II
SD HC
15 MB/s

I have two: 8GB and 16 GB.
No problems so far.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote