Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 16, 2009, 4:36 PM   #1

Default FZ35K officially at Panasonic's Site

After a long downtime on their servers, the page for the Panasonic DMC-FZ35 is finally up and running. All the specs and usual description are there for the taking

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-e...00000000005702

I'm still shocked to see (like in many other models they have) that the technical specs say "848x480" under the 'Motion Image', but the description accurately depicts the 1280x720 HD capabilities of the camera.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 4:45 PM   #2

Oh, I forgot to say.

Then there is the ZR1/ZX1 coming up too.
http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/compa...zx1/index.html

Basically the NEXT camera after the ZS3/TZ7. Less zoom (8x) more pixels (12.1megapixels)

Old Aug 16, 2009, 6:43 PM   #3

The DMC-FZ38 on the UK site is in place, but the manual as a PDF download is not available:

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_G...819/index.html

PS: A purchaser of FZ38 who just received their unit is presenting their "hands on" findings - See the Panasonic Forum on DPREVIEW (sorry Steve - hate to do this to you).

Reads like a lot of good news. The battery from FZ28 is able to be swapped. There's much much more.

PS2: Heavens !! I have never seen such a feeding frenzy over any other camera that I remember seeing (ie, re: dpreview). Reminds me of those old movies showing the Amazon piranha's attacking a piece of meat thrown in the water.

PS3: Another review

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/Pa...rst-look-11923

PS4: DMC-FZ38 User Manual now available at:

http://rapidshare.com/files/27013706...tions.pdf.html (15MB download)

Last edited by sdromel; Aug 22, 2009 at 2:56 PM.
sdromel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2009, 9:49 PM   #4

Anybody know anything about any differences between the FZ35K, which seems to be a USA camera, and the FZ38, which Panasonic shows in UK?
JimInCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2009, 12:22 AM   #5

The FZ38 User Manual shows that this camera has lots of new features. Seems an awful lot of the 218 page manual is devoted to aspects of the facial recognition capability though. From my experience with FZ7 and other FZ users, I would say that there are provided a lot of seeming useful upgrades, the more important ones involve:

- Better audio (at least over FZ28, FZ7 is great for me)
- Improved movie mode (eg, can zoom as well as control shutter & aperature & exposure)
- Memory Presets for Menu Settings
- More options for white balance control
- Some implementations for helping achieve better control over dynamic range of the exposure
- More automation available for camera control in low light

But there are a lot of other things/options added too, almost too numerous to keep track of.

As for me, movies are a very tertiary consideration. I do not like the idea of a forced 30 frames (even at 320x240), as the files easily quickly get too big to email. Also, already there have been complaints that the dedicated movie button is too easy to inadvertently bump & start unintended movie recording.

The big question is, does it take good photos? If it is anything like the FZ28, then it will be a well liked camera.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 2:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimInCO View Post
Anybody know anything about any differences between the FZ35K, which seems to be a USA camera, and the FZ38, which Panasonic shows in UK?
If anything, I believe the only difference should be the name and the PAL vs NTSC for video (25fps / 30fps).

Kind of like the TZ7 and ZS3. It's the same camera but different name depending on the continent
Old Aug 23, 2009, 6:10 PM   #7

It is difficult to directly compare the specifications of the two FZ models. The issue is that the spec sheets are formatted differently. But on the surface, the cameras appear to be of equal capabilities. I suspect that some of the differences will involve the defaults for units and the different standard (ie, NTSC vs PAL) for video. One major difference I spotted in the specifications was the available OSD languages - FZ35: English & Spanish; FZ38: Japanese, English, German, French, Italian, Spanish.