Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 21, 2009, 11:49 AM   #1

Default LX3 digital zoom get-round?

Like many others, the only thing stopping me buying a Lumix LX3 is the lack of decent zoom- love the 24mm wide and fast, good lens.

In most cases the advice re digital zooms is "avoid" but with this one, I'm wondering if the lens sharpness and aperture and sensor mean that even digizoomed the result would be acceptable- thus making it ok for occasional long distance shots? Or is a more standard lens, only zoomed to 110 say, always going to beat it even so? Alternatively, would the better quality at 70mm mean that one could happily crop to achieve a decent 110 zoom effect anyway?

Also I take a lot of concert shots and I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on the low light capability at high ISO of this compared with my current Fuji F30, itself known for good low-light... (though the lens is not great in itself).

also some technical confusion- reducing the number of pixels reduces noise yes (hence some cameras cut image size for 1600 up). Wouldn't digital zoom therefore have the same effect (I suspect not but why?)

many thanks!
billpann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 22, 2009, 3:24 AM   #2

The only thing stopping me from buying the LX3 is its high price and unavailability. I'm looking forward to the arrival of the the new Canon S90.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2009, 9:49 PM   #3

Yes... I'm really torn, the S90 looks very tempting
that extra 3mm of wide would be very handy though!

apparently you can get 4.5 optical zoom if you keep it at 3MP- wondered about this and if it kept the same field of view? Hmm
billpann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2009, 10:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by billpann View Post
Yes... I'm really torn, the S90 looks very tempting
that extra 3mm of wide would be very handy...
Actually an extra 4mm. The LX3 lens starts at 24mm while the S90 starts at 28mm. Considering that the S90 has a longer reach (3.8x vs. 2.5x), the extra 4mm on the wide end would indeed be nice. But, 28mm ain't bad!

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote