Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 11, 2003, 11:01 AM   #1

Default Side by side FZ10 pictures

Camboy posted this link on Phil's forum
alexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 11, 2003, 11:55 PM   #2

Default ALEXO - most interesting - thanks for link

Do you have any idea what the 4 megapixel / 2 megapixel and minimale and maximale comments mean ? Thank you.
Humble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2003, 12:23 AM   #3
djb

i think they mean minimum and maximum.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2003, 12:37 AM   #4

Default a

test

LOL at PrmseKpr. Actually I was trying to delete a post but it won't let you after someone posts below it so I just put test instead.... :roll:
Jimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2003, 12:38 AM   #5

Default Dennis - I think your'e right - but

what about the 4 megapixel and 2 megapixel comments? I thought this was a 4 megapixel camera. The exif on the 2 megapixel labeled images is FZ10. ??

By the way, using only the BMW ISO 50 and ISO 400 "4 megapixel" images, I am VERY pleased to say that using Neatimage with 75% on the ISO 400, then FocalBlade on both 50 ISO and 400 ISO, then Genuine Fractals 2.0, resizing to 200 dpi as well as resizing - the ISO 400 (and 50, of course) give an excellent (my limited opinion, of course) wall print of 13 x 19 with lots of crop room. Wonderful!

Oddly there are some color differences between the two. I assumed the ISO 50 was correct and can easily alter the 400 with curves to approximately the same visual balance. I think the exposure is slightly different, too, but well within correctable limits.

For reasons I won't bore you with I have to be able to use ISO 400. These samples sure make it look like this is entirely feasible. Thanks again for the link, Alexo.
Humble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2003, 5:47 AM   #6

Default Re: ALEXO - most interesting - thanks for link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble
Do you have any idea what the 4 megapixel / 2 megapixel and minimale and maximale comments mean ? Thank you.
The 4 megapixel and 2 megapixel are just the differences in resolution settings. Essentially it would demonstrate the approximate difference between an FZ10 and an FZ1.

The minimale (minimum) and maximale (maximum) indicates the jpeg compression level. The FZ10 has two compression levels, normal and fine. maximale would indicate the "normal" setting or maximum compression. minamale would indicate the "fine" setting or minimum compression. The fine setting with the least compression means larger file sized, but it also means less detail lost to compression, and reduced compression artifacts in the images. If you are only shooting for small prints or photos to e-mail at reduced sizes the "normal" setting would be okay. however if you want to view full screen on computer or make large prints you will want to use the fine or minimum compression mode to get best quality.

So this series demonstrates the difference between resolution levels and the difference between compression levels, as well as ISO differences.

With a little post processing for noise reduction (such as with programs like Neat Image, photoshop noise filters or Pixelenhance) both the 100 and 200 speed images clean up very well. The 400 speed images lose a lot of detail to noise, but still cleans up adequately to produce a useable image in many cases.
brdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2003, 10:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by brdavid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble
The 4 megapixel and 2 megapixel are just the differences in resolution settings. Essentially it would demonstrate the approximate difference between an FZ10 and an FZ1.
**** rest of post snipped for brevity ****
Whoa up here ... are you saying the FZ10 has user-selectable megapixel settings? That's the first I've heard of that (although I could have missed it, I suppose). How would it do that - would it disable every other pixel on the CCD or something?

I know you can select different image sizes with most digicams (say, 800x600, 1600x1200, etc.), but I'm with brdavid ... how did he shoot the same exact scene at 2 different "megapixel resolutions"? :roll:

Mike
yxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2003, 5:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by yxix
I know you can select different image sizes with most digicams (say, 800x600, 1600x1200, etc.), but I'm with brdavid ... how did he shoot the same exact scene at 2 different "megapixel resolutions"? :roll:

Mike
The 1600x1200 image size setting is 2 megapixels. Change the image size setting without moving the camera and you get the effect.

The only real advantage is to get more shots to a memory card. (smaller file sizes) otherwise you would be better off either cropping or interpolating down on the computer. I don't know whether the camera interpolates the image down in size after shooting, or if it actually ignores some pixel information before recording the image. The effect is approximately the same either way.
brdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2003, 7:18 AM   #9

Default Re: a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie
test
And I forgot to study.
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2003, 11:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by brdavid
Quote:
Originally Posted by yxix

Mike
The 1600x1200 image size setting is 2 megapixels. Change the image size setting without moving the camera and you get the effect.

The only real advantage is to get more shots to a memory card. (smaller file sizes) otherwise you would be better off either cropping or interpolating down on the computer. I don't know whether the camera interpolates the image down in size after shooting, or if it actually ignores some pixel information before recording the image. The effect is approximately the same either way.
Duh. ops: Of course you're right ... I musta been sleepy when I asked this one. I've never shot at anything other than full-res and highest quality/lowest compression, so it just didn't occur to me.

Thanks -

Mike
yxix is offline   Reply With Quote