Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 7, 2009, 8:07 PM   #1

Default pictures from my new FZ35 not coming out good

Hi all, Well I have been playing with and reading up on how to use my new camera. I must say that I am not happy with my test pictures I must be doing something wrong. I have been using the auto settings and I have used the portrait mode, close up flower mode and baby mode. I am getting alot of noise and focusing is not that great. I am attaching two photos. I have only had the camera a few days , but I remember my last camrea taking great photos in auto mode. Don't get me wronge I want to learn to do use the the more manual modes as well but I also want to know if I hand the camera to some one else I will get a decent photo.

Thanks for any help. I am very new to this camrea and I thought some of you that are more experanced may be able to help.

Gerrie
Attached Images

Gerrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 7, 2009, 8:20 PM   #2

Take more pictures. Your camera is a complicated piece of equipment and you're not going to learn to make the best of it overnight.

And give up IA mode. Don't let the camera guess for you, it sometimes guesses wrong. Learn to think about the shot before you press the button.

But I need to ask. You ARE pressing the shutter button halfway and giving it time to focus, aren't you? Because if you aren't, that explains everything that's wrong with your pictures.
rfdandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2009, 8:53 PM   #3

Hi and thanks for responding.

Yes I am pressing my sutter button halfway.
Ok lets focus on the photo of my son. (after all he will only be little for a while but flowers will always be around.) This was taken in the IA mode. If I was to leave said mode what should I try? This is the room that we spend a lot of time in it has poor lighting.

I would be greatful for any help. I was also not getting great results in a sunny classroom with florecent lights. I can't post those pictures as they are students and that is not allowed. (in our district anyway) but it was the same problems focus and noise. Now other out door pictures (other than the flower) look ok ( not wonderful but ok )
Old Sep 7, 2009, 10:15 PM   #4

Try these settings as recommended by a new FZ38 owner & posted on another site:

For me, these "default" settings are Aperture priority, 10Mpix, high quality JPEG only, aspect ratio 4:3, Inteligent ISO off, ISO auto, MAX ISO 400, AWB, inteligent exposure off, pre af off, contrast 0, sharpness +1, saturation +1, noise red -1, stabilizer mode 1, metering center weighted, af mode 1-area.

What I did was take lots od test pictures, to find what is more suited to my taste, and then store these settings in the custom setting C1, and leave the dial always on C1 when turning off, so I always start in a known state.

This way I only have to change the settings relative to the shooting i'm about to do, don't need to review them all. I used the other custom settings to store a manual mode and a high-iso mode.
sdromel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2009, 5:12 PM   #5

Thanks for all your help I tried the suggested settings and then tried changing the settings around on my own and after many more photos and many fiddles I returned the camera. I was just not happy with it, and try as I might I could not get it to work well for me. I hope others are happy with thier FZ35. Back to the drawing board for me.

Thanks again for all your kind help.

Gerrie
Old Sep 8, 2009, 8:37 PM   #6

Gerrie-

In my opinion there were several problems in your equation. Perhaps, I am wrong, but it sounds like you are really looking for a totally automatic camera that satisfies your creative needs.

The only camera that might fit into that category is the Sony H-20 camera. Please join us on the "what point & shoot digital camera should I select." It runs to 20+ pages and we look closely at a wide variety of cameras, including the Sony H-20, the best fully automatic camera on the market today. Am I being truthful, please check it out, we have folks with little to no camera experience who are getting great photos from a wide variety of cameras, including the Sony H-2o camera.

Seeing is believing!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2009, 7:31 AM   #7

I've only had my FZ 35 for a few days but I am thrilled with the camera and it's results. It has far exceeded my expectations. Can't wait to see the official review.....
Stan C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2009, 1:23 PM   #8

Hi!
I am a newbie as well, love to learn more from everyone.
I bought my FZ28 a couple months ago and had lots of shots taken but not all are good, I'm still learning how to use the manual mode, would be nice if anyone know what is the best techniques when using the manuals.
I'm playing around with my camera over the weekend and this is the result.
Any comments would be appreciate!
Cheers!

Last edited by tumbleweed; Sep 14, 2009 at 1:46 PM.
tumbleweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2009, 3:59 PM   #9

Gerrie, can you post the baby picture with the full EXIF data?

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2009, 10:56 AM   #10

The FZ28 is an excellent camera, capable of producing amazing results but...not at its default settings (at least for my taste). I find that images tend to be on the soft side. So, after playing with the Pict Adj settings, I settled on the following for P mode:

Sharpness +1
Contrast 0
Saturation +1
Noise Reduction +1
Intelligent ISO ON
ISO Limit Set 200
Matrix metering
AF mode SINGLE (one above spot)
Pre AF OFF
AE/AF lock set to AE lock
iExposure STANDARD
Digital Zoom OFF
Color Effect OFF
Stabilizer Mode 2

Now, these settings will be retained for P/A/S modes only. If you use any other mode, the settings will change to the camera's default for that mode, which can be overwritten but not saved (a real pain IMO). Of course the FZ28 offers 4 custom modes (C1-C3 and C2) you can use to save different configurations for easy access. I have them set to B&W, high ISO, etc. Find the settings that you play with the most and save them on the C modes. It's easier to get to them than to make the changes through the MENU. Hope this helps a bit.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote