Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 15, 2009, 4:51 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
But if you look throughout many threads with images, most posters do not seem to seek critique and many bristle when another suggests there is something that could be better. So I think many of the enthusiasts begin gravitating to other sites where they can get more critical help and where the 'bar is higher' for what a good image is.
I see there's a Critiques and Techniques forum already, but do you suppose it would help at all to create a forum for "Critical image analysis" or similar for each camera make?
The forum description header could spell out to users what is and isn't welcome in that subforum. This would allow the thin-skinned to avoid harsh criticism of their efforts, while giving those interested in advancing (and helping to advance) a place to freely communicate.

Quote:
Because there's a general fan-boy concept that any photo taken by the brand I use is a good photo. "If I'm a Canon shooter, the Nikon guys aren't my friends so they might not think my photo is good and I just want to feel good about myself".
This is why I suggested subforums for each make. It's also likely that Nikon fans may not be able to help Canon users (and vice versa) with such things as in-camera settings and what camera-specific equipment to use in a given situation. I realize this is supposed to be what the brand-specific forums are for, but if less advanced users are too timid to use them and more advanced users don't want to hurt less advanced users' feelings, then specialized "hardcore" forums may be helpful.

Last edited by Lazy Lens; Oct 15, 2009 at 4:59 PM.
Lazy Lens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2009, 8:57 PM   #22

I'm a member here from WAY back (hence the username), and I can definitely say that this Panasonic forum used to be THE Panasonic forum to visit. Not sure what happened, but it did kind of fizzle a bit. I have never really cared for the format of the DPReview forum, and if I'm not mistaken, Steve had a Panasonic forum here while Panasonic owners were still suffering in the generic "Other" category at DPReview.

I know that one of the things that attracted a lot of people here versus DPReview was that Panasonic Bob (an actual employee of Panasonic) would frequent here. I don't think that's happened much lately, but he's probably still checking in from time to time.

Anyway, this is a kinder, gentler forum for Panasonic owners, and I can definitely say (as a person who has been caught up in my fair share of heated discussions at that other forum) that quantity doesn't trump quality. The content here is far more useful and typically more sincere with few (if any) short fuses.

Incidentally, I still have the black FZ1 and pull it out from time to time to keep the batteries charged and see that it's still taking perfectly useful photos. I temporarily ventured off to an Olympus DSLR system, but then came back to the Panasonic FZ50, which is what I'm still using and thoroughly enjoying. I don't know what I'm going to do when it's broken, lost, or stolen!

I'll have to check in here more often and do my part with getting the activity up a bit.

-- Chris

Last edited by EffZeeOne; Nov 3, 2009 at 8:59 PM.
EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2009, 11:08 AM   #23

It's a self-inflicting problem. The less people participate and comment, the less people feel like posting anything. Consequently, the less people post, the less there is to comment on and the cycle goes on and on. I noticed that participation is much higher on discussion topics rather than "comment on my pics" topics. So, as a suggestion, perhaps by connecting the photos with some sort of technical discussion, participation will improve. For instance, "I took these pictures and find them rather ...". Now participants have something else to contribute besides a "great pictures" type of response. Just a thought.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2009, 11:18 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdromel View Post
I do check this site nearly every day (POTD). I also check to see if someone has posted a question that I might have experience with & which might be able to help with.
Here's a tip (if you are not already doing it), you can subscribe to various forum of your interest and choose the frequency of the notifications you receive from the forum activities. You can receive notifications as often as daily. They are very useful because it will give you a list of all new posts on a particular forum. If the title catches your attention, you click on the link and it will take you right there.

Tullio
Old Nov 4, 2009, 11:19 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegg View Post
Tullio: I agree with your observations. But, I have found so much worthwhile information and discussion there that I regularly read several dpreview forums. Hopefully, things will pick up here.

Mike
I do the same, Mike.

Tullio
Old Nov 4, 2009, 11:26 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Lens View Post
I've seen numerous posts on the dpreview Panny forum from beginners seeking advice. I imagine in many cases it's the fact that dpreview has earned a reputation somewhat different than Steve's that draws them in -- i.e., people there are critical and this is exactly what the less advanced (and thicker-skinned) photogs are looking for, that they may best elevate their ordinary results to the extraordinary.
Adding to that, there a lot less repetition over there. If you check the "which camera should I buy" forum here at Steve's, you'll see that some members post the same advices over and over again. It becomes very very boring. Newcomers should do some search first before posting questions that have been posted and answered before.

Tullio
Old Nov 4, 2009, 12:52 PM   #27

Like every one has gone out to take and decided not to post em any more .. they be working to capture the criminals in old age time... or is it the war killing the threads or is it or it must of been a thrill in the moments time... a lot of people do have a bit of Attention disorder I have it still and I will have it till I am of course busy there does seen to be a lot of people going through and looking maybe hoping to find shots of their own stolen from their files to try and catch the thief's on the net..other wise they be working ....cause they find that there is other moneys to be had with all the work needing to be done and the costs of things as well...or maybe a lot are getting older as well...and then there are those that are trying to prevent others from getting ahead....

Last edited by SharpShotGal; Nov 4, 2009 at 1:14 PM.
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2009, 1:19 PM   #28

I just got my FZ35 and I love it....I'll try to keep this post going with the some pictures in the next few days
anthony_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2009, 12:17 AM   #29

Tullio has pretty well summed it up-

I too look every day at this folder. About a month ago it began to taper off, and iyt has progressively become slower, and slower.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2009, 3:23 PM   #30

Second attempt to post....hmmmm.
Perhaps you are now logged off if you are inactive for a period of minutes.

It has been awhile (months? over a year?) since I have posted on Steve's forum.

Don't bemoan the "lack" of activity on the Panasonic forum.
Do something about it!

I have been using digital cameras for about ten years now making the transition from
an old Epson point and shoot > HP200> Olympus C2100uz (still a great dig cam!) >
Olympus E20 > Minolta 7HI > Nikon 5800 > Panasonic FZ20 > FZ30 to > FZ50 (current digital camera).

I love the manual zoom of the FZ20/30/50 series and lament its passing in later lines
Panasonic cameras.

The only limitation, in my opinion of the FZ line, is its battery life.

The option for an external Panasonic battery pack is costly and camera specific.
I suggest that, if you want to shoot lots of pics, to purchase a DPS 9000
battery pack (size ~1 x 4") for about $40. It screws into mount on bottom
of camera and also has its own mount!

It will work with virtually any digital camera and it is lithium based so it is less
susceptible to battery performance degradation with low temps.
(No, I am not a rep for this battery).

The FZ50 photo in my post was shot early on Veterans Day (11/11/2009) just a few
days after the coward took 14* lives at Ft. Hood, TX. It spoke to me
of these souls (14* because one soldier was pregnant and due to go
on maternity leave in just two days) who watch over us.

This photographer's faith in Eternal Life makes him want to believe that these
14 souls "formed up" in the sky to let us all know they are still here,
now on Eternal Watch Detail.

The title of the photo is:

"On Eagle Wing"

GBU GBA

Digcamfan

P.S> Go here...photo will not insert in my post.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/4153119993/

Last edited by digcamfan; Dec 2, 2009 at 3:33 PM. Reason: none
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote