Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 15, 2003, 12:26 PM   #1

Default Thanks for this website!!!

I really appreciate the websites such as this one, DCR, DPRreview, and similar sites. If it were not for these sites I would no nothing about the FZ10 (Panasonic should be especially indebted to these sites) and I feel from reading the many posts I will know what I am getting when I make my purchase. I appreciate the honesty in the reviews, you actually talk about weaknesses of cameras, something we never read about in the Digital mags. I understand no camera can be everything to everyone but because of these websites I have far more confidence I will know what I am getting from any other source, including the bad with the good.

I am going to purchase the Panasonic and probably the Panasonic 256 memory card (influenced because of reading posts on this site). Is there any way I can make certain my purchase helps this site! Obviously I will look for advertisers on these site (I did not notice if B&H advertises here because that is my first choice) and I want to make certain the vendor knows my purchase is because of these websites. I hope Steve and the other guys running these boards find they are somehow compensated for their efforts.

I am a little disappointed that I did not receive any response for my question about the shutter lag. I have a Fuji Finepix S602 and have been using regular (not high speed) memory cards and I can almost get the action pictures I want. I want to justify my purchase by thinking the Panasonic will be a little better for shutter lag and I was thinking one postive response and I place my order. Who am I kidding though, I am going to buy this camera anyway. We will be going on a once in a lifetime trip to Hawaii (Wakaiki- any suggestions for photo opps) next fall so the zoom alone justifies the purchase (see, I knew I would find a way to justify spending another 600 bucks after spending nearly 2000 on digitals in the past two years). I probably will be a little "luckier" with the Panasonic in capturing someone at the top of their jump shot than with my Fuji.

Back to my appreciation of these sites. It seems like instead of being in competition with each other there appears to be a great amount of cooperation (links to each others sites). Hope this is ok to ask on this site - for some reason I can't log onto DCR site anymore. Is there someone I can contact to help me?
gstepic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 15, 2003, 4:38 PM   #2

Default Re: Thanks for this website!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstepic
I am a little disappointed that I did not receive any response for my question about the shutter lag. I have a Fuji Finepix S602 and have been using regular (not high speed) memory cards and I can almost get the action pictures I want.
We will expect the shutter lag comparison to come from you once you get the fz10. ;-)
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2003, 11:34 PM   #3

Don't know about the FZ10, but the FZ1 has basically no shutter lag, unless you're in night shot mode or burst mode. Like I've posted before, I did notice a lot more shutter lag on different namebrands of SD card. However, the genuine Panasonic SD cards provided top-notch performance, and they're the cheapest SD card at my local Wal-Mart anyway ($34 for 64mb SD card). I did just buy a "Smart" namebrand 256mb SD card for only $59 from ECost, which is a phenomenal price. I didn't expect to get the same performance out of it that I do the Panasonic cards, but I notice no difference in write or read speed.

I would guess the FZ10 would have as fast if not faster lag time than the FZ1 -- it has a better burst mode at twice the resolution and faster frames per second video mode, so it must have a minimal lag time.
EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote