Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 17, 2003, 8:59 AM   #1

Default anyone has the fz-1 firmware update allready?

hello
anyone allready updated his FZ-1?
or know about anyone that have done it..?
v1p0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 17, 2003, 9:03 AM   #2

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=6679369
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2003, 9:21 AM   #3

humm
that dude seems to don't be very happy with the result...
that stuff that he mentioned about f2.8 at 8 seconds can be done without problems with FZ2?

theres any online store that are allready selling it and can send to Portugal?
Old Dec 13, 2003, 7:06 AM   #4

any news about this? it's only available in japan yet??
Old Dec 13, 2003, 10:02 AM   #5

Go there and you'll be happy!

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=6927434
Sergeď is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2003, 10:05 AM   #6

there is a thread on dpreview with a link to the firmware.bin file and instructions. Seems like a few people have it working.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=6927434
Rollz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2003, 4:16 PM   #7

Default Works like a charm!

My fz1 now has the attributes of an fz2 but I will continue to fondly refer to it as my fz1. Thanks to all who made this simple upgrade possible.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2003, 6:30 PM   #8

The way the LCD/EVF darkens after focus lock (when taking a picture in a dark room) is a bit surprising, but then this is actually a feature where the LCD/EVF looks like the ISO is set at 400 all the time (so you can see even in dark shots), but then converts to what you'll actually get once the focus locks.

Another thing to consider is that the firmware upgrade resets everything, including your picture numbers. That can be a pain because of duplicat pictures depending on how you archive them.

As for the F8 being the only aperture setting when the shutter is at 8 seconds, there are still workarounds for this. The person that mentioned it as a problem on DPReview said that he was disappointed because it limited his FZ1's ability to take IR pictures. You can still use the Nightmode option with the flash down (off) and it will set the shutter at 8 seconds but give you an aperture in the 4-ish range, which isn't too bad. If you want the aperture at 2.8, Nightmode with the flash up (on) will give you that, but the shutter time will be at 1 second. I've taken pretty nice IR shots using the Nightmode setting as a work-around for not having shutter and aperture priority modes. FYI, I've found the best IR pictures seem to be in Nightmode with the flash on (1-second shutter, 2.8 aperture). You can see the pics here:

My FZ1 IR Pictures

This site is a work in progress, so don't expect the same type of pictures that are on other dedicated IR sites, but it does show that IR photography is possible with a stock FZ1, and I'm sure it would be even better with an upgraded FZ1.
EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2003, 10:35 PM   #9

Keep in mind you may have some explaing to do how you came by the upgrade if you need service or warrenty work.

Don't want to p in the punch, but think about it.
Ramblin_mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2003, 11:14 PM   #10

You mean under the whopping one-year limited parts warranty or the 90-day limited labor warranty? The warranty does not list "upgrading the firmware" as a reason to void the warranty. This is an official Panasonic firmware upgrade, whether sold only in Japan or sold worldwide, it really doesn't make a difference in regard to the warranty. I have three friends in Japan right now who could buy this upgrade for me and send it to me here in North America. The internet makes it a small world -- Panasonic should realize this.

Another way to look at it is that I purchased my FZ1 for $360, it comes with a one-year warranty. Broken down to a cost per day, my FZ1 is about $1 per day. If installing a Japanese release firmware update hoses the camera, then to be honest, I would probably just forget about it and buy a new one. It's daily soda machine money...it's not like a $10,000 camera.

Don't get me wrong, the above statements are not condoning obtaining this upgrade for free -- they're in reference to buying it from somewhere in Japan, having it shipped to North America, and then installing it in your North American FZ1.
EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote