Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 18, 2003, 12:54 PM   #1

Default Lexar SD card

I placed my order with Onecall for the Z10 and when asking to order the Panasonic memory card i was told it would take forever and the sales rep talked me into the Lexar SD 256 card. From reading the posts below concerning memory cards I may have made a mistake. I will buy several cards and when shooting my sports events I will want the fastest, but for other things I just want something that works with the camera (including the movie mode). Are there any Panasonic owners that use Lexar SD cards and think they work ok (hopefully the experience listed in the posts on memory cards is an isolated one due to a bad card).

It appears Panasonic is coming out with a faster SD card and these are the ones that we will have to wait for. But where is a decent place to buy what Panasonic has available now (I need to reread the post because if my memory serves me right I think there were some vendors mentioned).
gstepic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2003, 2:05 PM   #2

Unlike most cards, our speed increases with the size ofthe card. This is to say that a 256 MB card will be faster than 128 MB and so on. With digital cameras this will not be a factor and you will not see any difference in performance. The cameras are based on 2 mb transfer rates, so any card should work just fine.

With products such as our SV-AV100 that can record full motion MPEG-2 video, these require faster cards. Currently our 256 and 512 MB cards are used with this product. Again, these faster cards are not going to give you any speed advantage over the standard 2 mb xfer rate cards.

This seems to be an issue that many people are confused about. SD cards in general have three speed specs - read, write, and copy.

Formating the card does not actually "erase" the files, but it does destroy the file allocation table. I've seen some evidance that formating a card may slightly increase the write time for very large images, but if the difference exists, it's a very slight difference.
Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2003, 2:11 PM   #3

Quote:
gstepic wrote

But where is a decent place to buy what Panasonic has available now?
I have seen Panasonic SD media at Wal-Mart retailers.
m.achure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2003, 3:30 PM   #4

Default Thanks for the replys, just one more question

Panasonic, part of your reply was:

With products such as our SV-AV100 that can record full motion MPEG-2 video, these require faster cards. Currently our 256 and 512 MB cards are used with this product. Again, these faster cards are not going to give you any speed advantage over the standard 2 mb xfer rate cards.

I am not certain what this means pertaining to the Z10 movie mode. The Z10 has a JPEG format so I imagine there would be no problem with the Lexar card for movies either with the Z10. My only concern is in the post about Media cards someone seemed to indicate with thier Z1 (I think) the movie mode did not perform with the Lexar card. I am hoping this was just an isolated incident because of a defect or some other problem (or I am reading the post wrong). Sounds like what you are saying is I have nothing to worry about and thanks so much for your reply Panasonic and M.Achure.

Actually, nevermind answering! There were some very informative posts on the DCR site concerning memory and it seems like the Lexar should be fine and that I can't go wrong with the Panasonic cards when I can find them. I will try Walmart for future cards - thanks again M.Archure and Panasonic and other posters for the great info.
gstepic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2003, 9:56 PM   #5

Default Lexar SD Cards

I just bought a 256 MB Lexar SD card at Comp USA for $70. and it seems faster than my 128 Sandisk. I'm happy with it. I'm waiting for the 1GB cards to come out, so the 512's will be a lot cheaper.
agksimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2003, 10:16 AM   #6

I purchase a 64mb Lexar for my FZ1 and returned it. It would fail sometimes in video mode (due to speed) and would also take extra long in burst mode. Just the overall lag time increased noticeably as well. I bought it from Walmart.com, so they return was easy, and then when I went to a local Wal-Mart store shopping for other things, I noticed that Panasonic 64mb cards were cheaper than any other namebrand. I bought two of those and they work fantastic -- way better than the Lexar. I've also tried other popular namebrands since, both purchased and borrowed, all the way up to 512mb in size (although admittedly not all sizes in all namebrands), and with the exception of one other namebrand, the Panasonic cards are noticeably faster. I do not know if Sansdisk, Kingston, Lexar, etc., are going to come out with faster versions of SD cards (like they did with CF cards), but why wait when Panasonic's are plenty fast and they're OEM to the camera? Incidentally, the other namebrand that (to my eyes) performs equal to Panasonic is "Smart", which is a relatively no-namebrand media. I bought a 256mb Smart card from eCost.com for $59 (including $20 rebate), and I am very satisfied with its performance as being equal to the performance of the 64mb Panasonic cards in my FZ1.

I realize that anyone buying a FZ10 will not want to buy a 64mb SD card because it won't hold many pictures, but as Panasonic Bob states, the cards only go up in speed with size, so I would expect you to be satisfied with bigger sizes as well. For me having a FZ1, the 64mb size was perfect to get just enough pictures without risking a lot of pictures being on one card should it fail. It was the perfect compromise of storage size/safety. 256mb is probably that perfect compromise for the FZ10, especially if you use the 30fps video mode.

FYI, if you're having trouble finding Panasonic SD cards, Wal-Mart has them for less than any other sources I've found (even online), and at least my local store(s) have them from 16mb all the way up to 512mb.
EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2003, 11:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EffZeeOne
FYI, if you're having trouble finding Panasonic SD cards, Wal-Mart has them for less than any other sources I've found (even online), and at least my local store(s) have them from 16mb all the way up to 512mb.
Do you have a link? I can't find Panasonic SD on Walmart.com
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2003, 1:05 PM   #8

Sorry, I probably didn't differentiate that (or at least not enough) -- you won't find Panasonic SD cards at Walmart.com (I check every time I go to the site), but they've been in stock in every Wal-Mart store I have ever been to. I know that Wal-Marts buy/stock things very differently around the nation, so I'm sure that might not be true everywhere.
EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2003, 11:58 PM   #9

I have had the 256MB Lexar Card for a few months now and the card is fine. No problems whatsoever. I was going to get the Panasonic, but considering the Panasonic version was twice what I paid for the Lexar, I was sold. Great card.
Juice_22 is offline   Reply With Quote