Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 5, 2009, 5:44 AM   #31

Default I love my FZ18

A lot of the time the FZ18's colours are virtually indestinguishable from the famous Kodak colours.

Foxgloves, of course, which grow in profusion here.
Attached Images

Almar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2009, 10:27 AM   #32

Almar-

Yes, I surely do agree that there is some dollar leverage when purchasing a digital camera in the USA. I oftentimes send cameras to good friends in the UK as gifts to save the a few quid.

I love the photo of the foxglove! The color is wonderful.

Have a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2009, 11:25 AM   #33

Bored on a rainy Saturday morning...nothing special, just thought it was nice....(no processing, just cropped).

anthony_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2009, 12:56 PM   #34

Sarah,

Sorry to bother you again. This will be my last post regarding camera opinion. I don't have an expert eye regarding picture quality. I've seen pictures in other posts that seem fine to me that others indicate needed some tweaking. I'm sure my eye will improve. That being said, I've narrowed my selection for a mega-zoom to the FZ-35 or the Sony HX1. If the cost and features between the two were the same, which in your opinion has better overall picture quality without much tweaking of settings? It would seem that the Sony would be better being a CMOS vs. CCD sensor.

Thanks Again,

Erik
Navigera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2009, 1:40 AM   #35

Yes, Erik-

That would be a logical conclusion. Last summer I thought that was true also. Then, I ordered the Sony HX-1 camera, and quickly found out that my conclusion was completely wrong under actual shooting conditions.

The Sony HX-1 looks great on paper. But, in actual use it had less numerically high ISO capability than the Sony H-50 which I also own. The sweep panorama is nice, but not always 100% successful every time. The twilight mode is one of the better features, and it pretty much works as specified. But for the price it features were not features that would be used every day. My Sony H-50, that cost $150 less did just as good a job, so I returned the HX-1 after 3 weeks of use.

Keep in mind that the Panasonic FZ-35 had not been introduced in July 2009, when I had the HX-1. So being a super zoom junkie I was thrilled when the FZ-35 came to market. And now I also own a FZ-35. I sold my FZ-18 and FZ-28 just in the last 30 days. And yep! The FZ-35 is clearly better than the Sony HX-1.

And, Erik, if you are worried about the FZ-35's Flash Range (the distance from camera to subject) with the FZ-35's built-in flash unit, the flash range is 12 to 19 feet based on the numerical ISO setting. Well, I put together a Super Slave Flash Unit (see my separate thread of the Super Slave, please) that increases the FZ-35's Flash Range to 50 feet!

Have a great weekend. Please don't be concerned about asking questions, Erik, I enjoy every one of them. Keep the questions coming!

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 11, 2009, 3:55 PM   #36

Any recomendations for filters ?
Old Dec 11, 2009, 8:43 PM   #37

Anthony_b-

I always put on a UV to provide some safety against lens damage. I would rather lose an $18 filter than damage the lens. It has paid off once already.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 12, 2009, 1:06 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Anthony_b-

I always put on a UV to provide some safety against lens damage. I would rather lose an $18 filter than damage the lens. It has paid off once already.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Any particular brand or type ?....I think I would need a 46mm
Old Dec 12, 2009, 4:47 PM   #39

anthony_b-

I picked up mine on E-Bay and checked for any distortions, and it was clean.

Have a great day, Happy Holidays.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 12, 2009, 5:48 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony_b View Post
Any particular brand or type ?....I think I would need a 46mm

46mm is correct. I use a B+W UV-Haze Filter. Costs a little more but excellent quality !
Stan C. is offline   Reply With Quote