Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 7, 2009, 12:09 AM   #11

Sarah,... I'm glad to see the Zeikos Flash Handle worked for you. I guess I should have posted my original thread on this in the Panasonic forum. Did you buy the combination handle and the flash, or did you find the handle by itself. What trigger setting did you use for the Nikon. The numbers that JimC put up about the Nikon are very impressive for such a small flash unit. I am going on the site tonight to check it out. My daughter has a Canon G10 and need a good flash but she does not want a really large one. This might just be great.

I enjoyed the feel of the flash grip on the camera and it gives it more stability. By the way,.. I have noticed that the Image Stabilization for the FZ35 is MUCH MORE POWERFFUL than the IS I've seen on my other cameras, including the XSi 28-55 IS. I may be missing something but it almost seems to "Freeze" the image even in long zoom. What's your experience. Also,... Do you find that having a Maximum F/stop of f/8 is a BIG limitaion????
trigger1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2009, 12:04 AM   #12

trigger-

Your daughter should look at the Canon EX-270 external flash for her G-10. It is very small. Yes, the Nikon SB-20 is a small but powerful flash. To get the Zeikos handle, I had to purchase that small slave as well as the handle ($26.79 total).

I used the handle on setting #1 and it worked just fine.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2009, 1:54 AM   #13

Default FZ35 flash mode for external slave flash

Sarah,... I had posted a good note to this thread but when I finished and tried to post in, .... again I was signed off any everything I entered was lost. I'm too tired tonight to re-enter that note.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 12:23 AM   #14

Default FZ-35 Flash

Sarah,... In looking at eBay I find the Canon 270EX flash is considerably more expensive than the Nikon SB-20, and has a lower Guide Number. It also has none of the extra feature that the Nikon has.

You must have already had the Nikon when you got the Zeikos handle and knew it would work with it. Since you've had so many other cameras, have you ever tried the Nikon on any of the Canon P&S that have a hot shoe. If not, do you have any knowledge that it would work. The SB-20 has a really great price on eBay and it has so many good physical features. Do you still have you Canon S5 that you could test it with. Would it work with your Canon XSi?
Old Dec 11, 2009, 8:54 PM   #15

trigger-

Firstly, the Nikon SB-20 is not a TTL Flash. That is not a disqualification, but that should be known right up front. I use the Nikon SB-20 on my Sony DSLR cameras by using a hot shoe adapter that I purchased from Gadget Infinity ($15). So, based on that experience, I have no reason to believe that it would not also work just fine with either the Canon S-5 or my Canon XSi cameras.

I have not tried it, because I own three Canon Flash guns and really have no need to adapt the Canon cameras. As I mentioned, trigger, I am older than you, and I have been shooting photos for money for over 54 years, and I also teach for our state university and our Community College.

I also have a Canon EX-270 and it is a very good flash gun for its $129 cost. Now I would not want to shoot an entire wedding and reception with it, but I thought the smallness matched her G-10 nicely.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 15, 2009, 9:26 AM   #16

Default Getting Vivitar SF4000 to work with the FZ35

I just purchased the Vivitar SF4000 slave flash to work with my Lumix FZ35. The flash triggers fine but the images seem to be at lease one stop underexposed. This is in P and also M mode. I have tried reducing the Lumix flash output and increasing the overexposure by 2 stops. In M mode I have adjusted teh F stop and Shutter speed but even settings that I thought would produce overexposed shots all produce teh same underexposed photos.

Nothing helps. I can't get this slave flash to produce well exposed photos.

Any suggestions from anyone? The flash output cannot be adjusted.

Sarah, do you have any of these problems with your flash setup?

Help
Carl
doaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2009, 3:33 PM   #17

carl-

The problem is the Vivitar SF4000 appears to be underpowered, and not putting out enough light. Keep in mind in my example I was using the Nikon SB20 flash which is a powerful flash.

Another alternative is the DigiSlave-300 that has the excellent flash power needed for correct exposure.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 15, 2009, 11:08 PM   #18

Sarah-
Good possibility. Would this observation change your conclusion. I have taken a photo of a room using only the Lumix onboard flash and it is exposed perfectly, yet as soon as I use both the lumix flash and the vivitar sf4000 the photos of the same room is underexposed. I was thinking that the camera was stopping down too much from the extra light of the slave flash.

I have a Minolta 3600HSD flash unit that I used with my old Dimage 7 digital camera. It seems to be powerful but alas it is not slave capable. Do you think this would work with the zeikos grip?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Carl
Old Dec 17, 2009, 10:08 AM   #19
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by doaney View Post
I have a Minolta 3600HSD flash unit that I used with my old Dimage 7 digital camera. It seems to be powerful but alas it is not slave capable. Do you think this would work with the zeikos grip?
No. For one thing, the flash foot is a different type. You could buy an inexpensive hotshoe adapter (around $16) to mount it. Here's one example:

http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/produc...8&cat=0&page=1

But, you won't be able to control it's output power. Chances are, it's always going to fire at full power (assuming you can get it to fire at all), since it's not going to see any communications from the camera body for a metering preflash, flash duration needed, etc. It's usually a bad idea to try and use a dedicated TTL flash model that only works correctly when it sees proper communication with the camera for settings needed, etc.

I'd get a different flash for use with that type of slave setup. A flash with a non TTL auto mode would be your best bet, so you could set the aperture and ISO speed on the flash to match the settings on your camera for correct exposure.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2009, 1:36 PM   #20

Jim and Sarah
Thanks for your advice! I am ordering the Zeikos slave grip. Since I still have a lot of 35mm equipment, I think I will try using my Sunpak Auto 2000D to see if that works. If not then I'll get one of the flashs discussed here.
Carl