Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 6, 2009, 1:16 AM   #1

Default Want to Increase the FZ-35's Flash Range?

Hi there, Folks-

Meet the Super Slave Flash. With this Slave Flash set-up you can get a flash range (camera to subject distance) of 50 feet while you use all that nice zoom power of the Panasonic FZ-35 camera, to stand back well clear of your subject.

Here are the component parts:

(1) The Fz-35 Camera

(2) The Zeikos Slave Flash Handle (www.amazon.com $26)

(3) The Nikon SB-20 Flash Gun (www.ebay.com $19)

The Slave Flash Handle incorporated an electric eye that "sees" the FZ-35's built-in flash unit fire, and it instantly fires the Nikon SB-20 flash unit. The head of the Nikon SB-20 flash roates give you full bounce flash capability as well as normal flash.

And yes, it works perfectly.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2009, 1:24 AM   #2

Hi there again, Folks-

Here is sample photo taken with the Super Slave flash and the Panasonic FZ-35 camera set to the 28mm wide angle.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Dec 6, 2009, 6:56 AM   #3

Sarah,

Do you prefer this set up to the Metz 28CS - 2 Slave Flash?

Stan
Stan C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2009, 10:00 AM   #4

Wow, looks really cool. I'll look into that.
anthony_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2009, 10:25 AM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
With this Slave Flash set-up you can get a flash range (camera to subject distance) of 50 feet while you use all that nice zoom power of the Panasonic FZ-35 camera, to stand back well clear of your subject.
Don't forget to take ISO speed into consideration (you'll need to increase it to get that much range).

Zoomed into the long end of the zoom range with the DMC-FZ35, your widest available aperture is f/4.4

The SB-20 has a GN (Guide Number) of 98 feet at ISO 100 using the N zoom position on the flash. At the T position, it's GN is 118 feet at ISO 100.

Flash range is equal to the GN divided by the aperture at ISO 100.

So, using the T positon on the flash head, that works out to approximately 27 feet (118/4.4 ~= 26.8 feet) at ISO 100.

Each time you double the ISO speed, flash range increases by 1.4x. So, if you wanted to reach out to approx. 53 feet when zoomed in much, you'd need to increase your ISO speed to ISO 400.

Note that those figures are for a direct flash (the flash angle set at 0 degrees). If you try to bounce it, flash range will be *much* lower.

That is a pretty neat looking setup though.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2009, 12:34 PM   #6

JimC-

We have a nice home, but our great room is NOT 50 feet wide. Therefore, I had sort of a truncated photo environment of 22 feet last night (and BTW the Nikon SB-20 flash head was at the 60 degree position) when I shot that sample photo. My test had several goals:

(1) I wanted to see if I had adequate flash/light coverage at the 28mm end or wide angle position on the FZ-35 camera.

(2) I wanted to see if I could put together a Slave Flash combination that would provide the safety of being able to take the photo, using the FZ-35's zoom ability in a position that allowed the user to litterally be able to stand clear of the photo environment.

(3) As you probably know, JimC, there has been a random number of inquiries in this folder regarding using a slave flash on the FZ-35 camera, so this thread was designed to add to the knowledge base.

(4) I thought that it would be very desirable to create a slave flash combination that also offered the ability to use bounce flash as well, thus further extending the usefulness of the FZ-35 camera, which is a versatile camera.

Note to StanC.:

The Metz 28CS is equally powerful, and would do the job in a much smaller package quite well. But it does not have the bounce flash capability that the Nikon SB-20 provides.

Note to Anthony-B:

Yes, producing much more flash range, and a bouce flash capability for the very excellent FZ-35 just further extends the usefulness of this great camera, particularly if you were photographing large groups, or large industrial environments like a steel smelter, where you really needed an abilty to stand back some distance for safety, and to use the zoom power of the FZ-35. .

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Dec 6, 2009 at 12:39 PM.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 12:42 PM   #7
Administrator

Yes, that looks pretty neat (and it's amazing that you can buy that flash for so little now). I was just pointing out the formulas for flash range, just in case anyone took you literally on the 50 feet while making use of this camera's longer zoom range, without realizing that ISO speed and aperture limitations impact results if you want that much range (and still have a properly exposed subject that far away) with a smaller flash.

At longer zoom settings, less than half the light gets through compared to the available apertures at wider zoom settings with that camera (and some cameras have even dimmer available apertures when zoomed in), decreasing maximum range.

I think that often users look at Guide Numbers and assume that they indicate the flash range, without realizing that actual range is the GN divided by the Aperture at ISO 100. So, I figured that I'd point that out to readers.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2009, 1:18 PM   #8

As always, JimC-

...you provide essential and very useful information. I for one really appreciate it, as I am sure other posters do as well.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 6, 2009, 3:33 PM   #9

Thanks Sarah !
Stan C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2009, 5:09 PM   #10

Thanks Sarah for sharing. I might be making a purchase soon.
Nikon D600, D90, D70, N90s, FM2, Canon S3 1S, Panasonic FZ35; Nikon 18-105 VR, 28-70 2.8 Sigma, 35-70 Nikkor, 70-200 2.8 Sigma, 70-300 4-5.6 Sigma, 85 1.8D Nikkor, 55-300 4-5.6 Nikkor, Sigma 17-50 2.8.
Franko170 is offline   Reply With Quote