Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 7, 2009, 12:58 AM   #1

Default FZ35 Super ZOOM vs DSLR ZOOM

I'm starting this thread in the hopes of getting more education from the knowledgeable people on this website. This may seem really obvious to those with experience, but it was kind of a stunning awaking to me.

I was out shooting some telephoto shots of the geese on our pond with the FZ35 and was not able to get as close to them as I wanted. Of course they always moved away or flew away. Since I had my Canon XSi with me and the 75-300mm lens, I started to take some max zoom shots with it. All of a sudden I noticed that the images were LARGER than my FZ35. This would mean this zoom was larger than my FZ35. How could this be, it has 27mm to 486mm???? I had always assumed that Canon defined their lens in 35mm equivalents but I guess they don't. This means that the 75-300mm lens is really a 120-480mm zoom lens. But still the image I saw was larger that what I saw with my FZ35 at max zoom. So now we are getting into the "Crop Factor", which I think I understand, but I'm not sure this really explains the difference I saw in the to images.

If all of this is true, then the basic kit lens for my XSi, which is 18-55mm is really equivalent to 28.8-88mm.

And all this time I thought the 18X zoom on my FZ35 was really going to get me a lot closer. It didn't happen.
trigger1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2009, 1:07 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Everyone names their slr lens by what they would be on a 35mm image size. so yes, your 75-300 is in fact 120-480.

even the 4/3 system which uses a 2x crop factor still uses a 35mm naming convention, despite never being even on a 35mm camera.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2009, 12:34 AM   #3

Default FZ35 Super Zoom vs DSLR ZOOM

Hards80,..thanks for your confirmation. In many of the reviews of the FZ35 I have seen on this site and other websites, the Telephoto samples they use tend to always have a target that FILLS the image size to max. To actually do this you have to position yourself to accomplish this. Most of the Telephoto shots I have taken don't come out so good because; 1. The setup distance is never perfect, the light is not great, the subject won't co-operate, etc.

Each and everytime I see another great shot, I'm gaining more and more respect for the skill of the photographer.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 8:11 PM   #4

trigger-

Being a good photographer involves photo knowledge, Understanding light, and knowing your camera very well and then properly applying those items. It take time. It takes experience. and it takes hands on experience.

Unfortunately it does not come instantly, nor does everyone have that natural eye for seeing potential photos.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 1:26 AM   #5

Default FZ35 Super Zoom vs DSLR ZOOM

As always,.. everyday I use my Cameras I learn something new,... but I always end up with 2 or 3 more questions. I was trying to get more educated about teleconveters from this web site and others and there is one person that just does not believe in them for the Panny FZxx series. He feels he is better off just using the "Extended ZOOM" feature built into the FZ35 and says,.. Why would anyone every buy a teleconverter at 1.4x when you can get the Extended Zoom 28X just by dropping the image down to 5Megipexels.

So I was trying to find out if this is something real or just another way of "Cropping the image",.. and if this is true, then why have both "Extended Zoom" and "Digital Zoom" function active at the same time. DZ is "REALLY" just cropping the image from the sensor. So how is that different from cropping the image on a PC. Why do they do it.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 1:32 AM   #6
Super Moderator

yes, digital zoom is just a form of cropping. in general, just turn the digital zoom feature off, as it either a) just crops the image b) crops then resamples back up to a larger pixel count, which introduces artifacts. if you really need it, its better to crop later in computer and take control of the process yourself.

while teleconverters are not perfect, they are a much better option than the digital zoom. especially a high quality teleconverter.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote