Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 21, 2003, 3:12 PM   #1
Administrator

Default FZ10 review posted

Just posted our FZ10 review:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/fz10.html
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 21, 2003, 3:51 PM   #2

Well Thanks Steve. After looking at your review, I do beleive the FZ-10 will be my next camera. I want to see it in person b-4 I buy but your close-up pics of the body leads me to beleive it is a well crafted camera. Thanks again.
vette-freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2003, 5:41 PM   #3

Default Re: FZ10 review posted

"Just posted our FZ10 review:"

Thanks - I would have preferred a few more sample pics at full 12X zoom, but . . .
Spent some time this past weekend playing with a friend's FZ1.
Thanks anyway,
- Ray
Who will likely also make this the next camera purchase . . .
rayainsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2003, 5:45 PM   #4

Default Low light AF from the FZ10

Steve, I was wondering if you could comment a little more on your experience with the FZ10 focusing in low light (indoors, 38-50mm or so), with flash.

I have borrowed an Fuji S5000 and like it because of it's AF assist, 10x zoom, and relative speed. However, I have been eyeing the FZ10 as my actual purchase (f2.8 and IS!), but really need my wife to be able to take pics in the house, at night, with just a few lamps on.

Is the contrast AF any different/better than the FZ1? I'd love your thoughts...
rick325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2003, 5:49 PM   #5

Is the dark spot in the sky in pics P1010347.JPG, P1010353.JPG and P1010372.JPG a fingerprint on the lens? Oddly, it is near the end of a pole in every pic and most noticable in the pic of the sailboat rental place above the seagull's head.

I like the features, but the Canon G3 still looks like it has it beat in image quality and richness of color. Fortunately it's only noticable when flipping back and forth between similar pics. I may still get one if I can convince myself to not buy a Digital Rebel. I haven't owned a camera...like, ever - only disposables and 110's. I don't think I need much more than the FZ-10.

I really like the long zoom and OIS, and that's what's pushing me towards it over even the Minolta A1. I just want to be sure I'll be mostly satisfied, and not wishing I'd "only" spent another $200. Blah, I'm still undecided...

Great site, by the way.

Tim
MasterOfNone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2003, 7:54 PM   #6

Did they add the the ability to adjust zoom while making movies? Or just like the fz1/2 where you were stuck at a certain setting?
Tazman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2003, 9:15 PM   #7

Same as fz1 but at 30fps rather than 10fps for the fz1. dcresource review at http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/pa...ew/index.shtml
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2003, 11:47 PM   #8
Administrator

I posted 3 more 12x tele shots from the soccer game.

The "spot" was something on the lens - I think.

Low-light focusing is not too bad but it could use an AF-assist lamp like all digicams that don't have one. A bigger low-light problem is a lack of "gain up" on the EVF or LCD in low light conditions.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2003, 12:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve
Low-light focusing is not too bad but it could use an AF-assist lamp like all digicams that don't have one. A bigger low-light problem is a lack of "gain up" on the EVF or LCD in low light conditions.
I wonder, can one use a small flashlight (the kind that attaches to a keychain) as a low-tech AF-assist?

And by the way, Steve, did the email notification stop working or am I getting "special treatment"?
Update: Seems to be working now (at least for this thread). Thanks.
alexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2003, 11:12 AM   #10

Well, since Steve said "many FZ10's will likely find themselves as holiday gifts this year" you can send me a PM and I'll give you my shipping address!
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote