Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 29, 2009, 12:52 PM   #1

Default GF-1: no OIS with the 20mm lens?

I was watching a video review of the GF-1, and they specifically said that the 20mm lens does not have OIS.

I need clarification if this is true, since 20mm lens would be my all purpose lens, which I need the MOST image stabilization.
pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2009, 1:38 PM   #2
Super Moderator

It is true, it would need to be a much larger lens to get IS built into it. You are however going to make up for a certain amount of the shake reduction by being able to shoot at faster shutter speeds due to the large aperture.

I shoot Canon and neither of my fast primes have IS and it's not an issue if you work within the limitations.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2009, 2:11 PM   #3
Super Moderator

that is correct, the 20mm does not have the ois.

to get that you would need to get the oly pen ep1/2 with that lens for the inbody is
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2009, 8:45 PM   #4

That is bad news.

A $900 (nice) camera with zero image stabilization?

That would mean that the LX3 with image stabilization may even be a better choice even considering the improved sensor the GF1 has. Assume I do not know how to use the GF1 as a photographer, but rather a P&S user.
pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2009, 9:27 PM   #5
Super Moderator

it is still a fine and nice camera.

well panasonic (like canon and nikon) uses image stabilization in lens vs in body. and to be honest, people overemphasize the importance of image stabilization in-body. it is but 1 tool to improve a photograph. and there are advantages to in-lens stabilization as well.

for a pure p&s user, the lx3 may be a viable option.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2009, 11:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnut View Post
That is bad news.

A $900 (nice) camera with zero image stabilization?

That would mean that the LX3 with image stabilization may even be a better choice even considering the improved sensor the GF1 has. Assume I do not know how to use the GF1 as a photographer, but rather a P&S user.
There are many many more expensive DSLRs out there w/o in-body IS. In fact, all Nikons and Canons are examples of that. The stabilization for (at least) these two brands is on the lenses. So, the G1/GH1/GF1 are no different in that respect. If you really want in-body IS, you might want to consider the Olympus EP-1/EP-2 instead. The thing is, they don't have built-in flash, which to me is a big minus. Not because I shoot indoors with flash that much but because you loose the ability to use fill flash when the subject is back lit or when shooting macro in places where light is less than ideal.

As Mark pointed out, the 20mm is a very small lens and the fact that it is a wide prime makes it easier to handle. I have a Sony R1, which is big, bulky, very heavy and it has a 5x zoom lens with no IS. I hardly miss the stabilization on that camera because the FL is not long enough and the camera is very well balanced. Of course when you shoot with cameras w/o stabilization, keeping an eye on the shutter speed when shooting in low light conditions is a must.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote