Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 4, 2010, 9:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelforever View Post
.....well I'll let him believe that.
he doesn't want to reset his camera so no test. I just want to find the best settings for my camera....
thanks again.angela.
He does not have to change his settings. Since your camera offers the same setting options, you can change the settings on your camera to match his.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2010, 10:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelforever View Post
thanks for your response. but the matter is being tken in automatic shouldn't it have taken the photo the best way possibile????'
Well, this has always been a very debatable question. You must keep in mind that people's photographic tastes are different. Some like soft images while others like it crisp. Some like well saturated colors while others prefer more natural tones. And I can go on and on. So, it is obvious that no manufacturer can build a camera that will make everyone happy when the mode is set to AUTO. The advantage of having cameras with lots of manual controls is that you can tweak them to your taste. You don't like how the image looks like, you change the settings to your liking. Don't be afraid of playing with the options. Pick target subjects that are in challenging lighting conditions and take lots of pictures changing color mode, saturation, contrast, sharpness, noise reduction, etc. Remember, this is all free...that's the beauty of digital photography!!! Then upload the images to your computer, analyze them and pick the ones you like best. Look at the EXIF data (that's another beauty as you don't have to keep notes as you take the pictures) and use that to set the camera. The FZ38 offers 4 custom modes for you to save your personal settings. Use them. It will make it very easy to go from one camera setting (say B&W mode) to another (indoor, medium ISO, forced flash, custom WB). The manual provides good guidance as how to use those custom settings.

Bottom line is, you have a powerful camera and you should go beyond the iA mode to get the most out of it.

Hope this helps.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 3:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbnnet View Post
But the FZ38 is more advanced than the "vintage" FZ18 that appears to be using the same era technology as the nurse
There was nothing wrong whatsoever with that really fun photo which Almar has obviously removed and no doubt you will post a better one to display the advantages your wondercam over the not yet 2 years old FZ18.

Your snide and spiteful remarks fail to take into account Almar's financial circumstances and is more in place on DPreview's forums which Ken Rockwell quite rightfully described as "photographic chat rooms". I have a rather more flowery description for them and consequently have been reading Steve's Digicams forums for some time and your nasty attitude is the first I've come across. You ought to be thoroughly ashamed of yourself and I would think "yourself" is a word high on your list of priorities if I'm any judge of character.
solardisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 7:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by solardisk View Post
There was nothing wrong whatsoever with that really fun photo which Almar has obviously removed and no doubt you will post a better one to display the advantages your wondercam over the not yet 2 years old FZ18.
I definitely enjoyed the many photos I was able to capture with my FZ18, which is now in my daughter's hands since I recently bought the FZ35. I just hope she gets as much enjoyment from that FZ18 as I got from it!!
jazzspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2010, 1:48 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by solardisk View Post
Your snide and spiteful remarks...
Solardisk, I think you need to learn what a is in the modern internet world.
In case you have not figured it out ... it was a Wink!
Then you too will learn to lighten up and get a sense of humor too.
Either way... I think you did not see his initial photo otherwise you would
maybe have understood that the nurses instrument, a hand saw, was "Vintage" medical technology!!
Thus the joke!
Maybe next time first ask Almar how he feels before adopting a "Holier Than Thou" rant,
let alone trying to insinuate about his financial circumstances in a public forum, which
as a "judge of character" would know, is entirely inappropriate!

Last edited by dbnnet; Jan 8, 2010 at 3:01 AM.
dbnnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2010, 6:59 AM   #16

Lol people , I havent seen so much "arguing" on any other tech gadget so far

I have another que..

Hm I have another issue now .. when I connect it with USB cable to my laptop (vista sp2) it never shows up in the icon bar .. I mean , I cant "safely remove it" . I see the drive , I see it in my computer , its called "removable disk" , but I cant remove it safely as if all other USB flash drives , SD cards in my card reader and so on.

However , I can right click on Removable disk , then click on Eject, but nothing happens?could it be due to a fact that my SD card is "locked" , it has little switch for protected writing and its locked so I cant write or delete things when connected to laptop/pc..
of course I see all the images , everything works fast..
hrvoje xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2010, 8:40 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrvoje xyz View Post
....when I connect it with USB cable to my laptop (vista sp2) it never shows up in the icon bar .
hrvoje, it does not show up with a unique icon bar on mine either. That in itself is not unusual. But you should certainly be able to left click on the "external device" icon and then eject the "drive".... although sometimes one has to wait a good +10 seconds.
I tend never to use the cable and prefer to insert the SD card directly into a slot in my Notebook.
Regards
Old Jan 8, 2010, 11:27 AM   #18

An external card/chip reader, or using the computer's card reader, if available, is the preferred download method. Here in the USA, a card reader is very inexpensive.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2010, 7:14 PM   #19

Well, call me paranoic , but from all that opening and closing the small door when reaching for the card, and then again when charging the batt (does somebody think its also practical to be forced to pull battery out every time you need to recharge it?wouldnt be easier if we could just charge it like we charge batt, in laptop, with a cable inserted?I saw there is a whole for electricity adapter..) I am a bit affraid the small door will broke with time ..

ofcourse I have card reader on laptop..thats not the issue.But ok , obviusly Ill have to either pull SD card out or not be able to safely-remove-digital-camera
hrvoje xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2010, 10:28 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrvoje xyz View Post
..... but from all that opening and closing the small door when reaching for the card...
Well.... I suppose we are going to have to presume that similar to what the manufacturers of fridges do.......
they have designed the door to withstand abuse.
In reality, I think the door should be OK ..... we probably should be more concerned about dust eventually
settling on the SD contact points in the camera itself !
But it certainly is far easier and more efficient to use your PC's SD slot, let alone not having to use the USB cable and ANOTHER
small door on the other side of the camera to!

Last edited by dbnnet; Jan 8, 2010 at 10:36 PM.