Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 2, 2010, 9:18 AM   #1

Default help with my fz35/38 please!!!!!!

hello everyone, I have a fz35 for a few weeks but I really haven't had much time to study it very well, being a mother of a 16 month child!!!!!!
Well the matter is that on New Years eve I took some photo's with my camera and a friend of mine took others with is panny tz5..... we exchanged our photo's I must admit that his photo's look much better!!!!!!
I did take some in iA mode and he took all his only in iA mode.
I tried my best to defend my camera saying that most probably, being more sofisticated, I most probably put a few settings wrong..
so we tested them out. I fully resetted my camera and put it in iA and he did the same.
He says that you can see if a camera is good or not by seeing how it takes photo's in automatic being that you can't always loose time in setting it up.
well these are the results:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

The third photo was taken in iA mode with my fz35. It took the photo only in iso 100 f2.8 1/30 and that surprised me a lot being the room quite dark.
the second photo was taken with a tz5 in iA mode. It took the photo in iso 320 f.3.3 1/30. all in automatic
the first was taken with iso 400 f2.8 1/30 iso choosen by me.
is their something I must change in iA mode or have I done something wrong???
the matter is that I think that in iA mode the camera should of taken the photo with a much higher iso or I'm I mistaken?????.
thanks.
angelforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2010, 11:27 AM   #2

angelforever-

Welcome to the Forum. We're glad you dropped by.

The 1st and 2nd photos are very close in image quality. The small difference in exposure is accounted for by a slight difference in firmware and flash output between the cameras. The 3rd exposure was OK, but the WB, or White Balance was not set properly resulting in the somewhat yellow color cast to the photo.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2010, 2:45 PM   #3

I think that the FZ35/38 along with the other more advanced SuperZoom cameras in this class (i.e. Nikon P90 etc) are best suited to be used in non automatic mode. Certainly Iím getting far superior results by not using the iA mode at all!!!
dbnnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2010, 5:02 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelforever View Post
hello everyone, I have a fz35 for a few weeks but I really haven't had much time to study it very well, being a mother of a 16 month child!!!!!!
Well the matter is that on New Years eve I took some photo's with my camera and a friend of mine took others with is panny tz5..... we exchanged our photo's I must admit that his photo's look much better!!!!!!
I did take some in iA mode and he took all his only in iA mode.
I tried my best to defend my camera saying that most probably, being more sofisticated, I most probably put a few settings wrong..
so we tested them out. I fully resetted my camera and put it in iA and he did the same.
He says that you can see if a camera is good or not by seeing how it takes photo's in automatic being that you can't always loose time in setting it up.
well these are the results:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

The third photo was taken in iA mode with my fz35. It took the photo only in iso 100 f2.8 1/30 and that surprised me a lot being the room quite dark.
the second photo was taken with a tz5 in iA mode. It took the photo in iso 320 f.3.3 1/30. all in automatic
the first was taken with iso 400 f2.8 1/30 iso choosen by me.
is their something I must change in iA mode or have I done something wrong???
the matter is that I think that in iA mode the camera should of taken the photo with a much higher iso or I'm I mistaken?????.
thanks.
I see very little difference between 1 and 2. Being a resized photo, i do not expect to see much difference, but i see no glaring problems that should worry you. both shots look as expected for a 1024/768 resized photo.

#3 is just a white balance problem.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 12:09 AM   #5

From the EXIF, I find that the third photo has used forced flash off and a full 1 second exposure and not 1/30 as mentioned. Naturally, the result varies.
The details are:
Photo 1: 1/30; ISO 400; WB:Auto; Flash:Yes
photo 2: 1/30; ISO 320; WB:Auto; Flash:No
photo 3: 1; ISO 100; WB:Auto; Flash Warning:flash reqd but disabled. (Though Flash Fired says Yes, I think 'disabled' means forced off and flash did not fire).

In the end, I think it is the extra exposure that has resulted in the diffrence.

Last edited by Raghu; Jan 3, 2010 at 1:26 AM.
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 8:50 AM   #6

'But the FZ38 is more advanced than the "vintage" FZ18 that appears to be using the same era technology as the nurse...'

I must complain to Steve for recommending what is apparently a naff camera.
Almar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 12:15 PM   #7

Let me start with the third photo. The EXIF data shows a flash warning (flash required but disabled), which I don't see on the other image. So, something must have happened when you took that picture and I think I might have an idea. That was the second image (again according to the EXIF data), so my guess is that you had your camera in burst mode, which forced it to take multiple pictures but the flash did not have time to recharge between shots. So, the data indicates that flash was used but in reality, it was not fired. It looks like the FZ38 AUTO WB is not good for indoors with tungsten lighting (BTW, this is a common problem across the board, not just related to your camera). To test that, change the WB to match the ambient lighting and take another picture (w/o flash).

With that said, I noticed that the two cameras have not been set identically as far as Saturation, Sharpness and Image Quality go. Your FZ38 has every option set to Normal while the TZ5 is set to High. Even more important is the "Color Mode" setting. The TZ5 is set to VIVID while the FZ38 is set to NORMAL. That will make a huge difference in terms of IQ. The TZ5 will produce sharper, more saturated and brighter images because of the settings. So, you should compare the two cameras and make sure those settings are also identical. Then run the same test again.

Tullio

Last edited by Tullio; Jan 3, 2010 at 12:17 PM.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2010, 5:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
Let me start with the third photo. The EXIF data shows a flash warning (flash required but disabled), which I don't see on the other image. So, something must have happened when you took that picture and I think I might have an idea. That was the second image (again according to the EXIF data), so my guess is that you had your camera in burst mode, which forced it to take multiple pictures but the flash did not have time to recharge between shots. So, the data indicates that flash was used but in reality, it was not fired. It looks like the FZ38 AUTO WB is not good for indoors with tungsten lighting (BTW, this is a common problem across the board, not just related to your camera). To test that, change the WB to match the ambient lighting and take another picture (w/o flash).

With that said, I noticed that the two cameras have not been set identically as far as Saturation, Sharpness and Image Quality go. Your FZ38 has every option set to Normal while the TZ5 is set to High. Even more important is the "Color Mode" setting. The TZ5 is set to VIVID while the FZ38 is set to NORMAL. That will make a huge difference in terms of IQ. The TZ5 will produce sharper, more saturated and brighter images because of the settings. So, you should compare the two cameras and make sure those settings are also identical. Then run the same test again.
thanks. I'll try and see...but my friend is always convinced that his pany is better.....well I'll let him believe that.
he doesn't want to reset his camera so no test. I just want to find the best settings for my camera....
thanks again.angela.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 6:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
I see very little difference between 1 and 2. Being a resized photo, i do not expect to see much difference, but i see no glaring problems that should worry you. both shots look as expected for a 1024/768 resized photo.

#3 is just a white balance problem.
thanks for your response. but the matter is being tken in automatic shouldn't it have taken the photo the best way possibile????'
Old Jan 4, 2010, 9:38 AM   #10

Angelforever-

The answer to your question is, no. Even in the automatic mode the actual exposure is affected by the resident quality settings. As, Tullio suggested setting the camera up initially with the proper saturation, sharpness, and image quality does make a difference.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote