Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 4, 2010, 6:27 AM   #1

Default can you help setting my fz35 for best indoor photo's

Hello everyone,
As I've understood, it is best not to use iA mode being that the results I've had aren't great. (but I din'd by this camera for this but because I would like to learn more in manual mode) but:

what would be the best settings for my camera for indoor shots not wanting to fiddle too much with the camera but just put on and take the photo????

in low light and during the day time always indoor????
(being that I bought the camera to take especially photo's of my littlen who is always on the move!!!!)

like WB, in P mode or not, saturation, and so on......
I am not very satisfied with the low light photo's taken in iA mode so most probably thier is some setting which I'm not using correctly.

Another question I have is:

in P mode is it best to have intelligent iso on and intelligent exposure on too????

it is not that I don't want to read on in the forum, most probably someone has answered such a question but I really do not have much time being a mother of a very active 16 month toddler!!!!!!!
hoping to be clear enough and not confused-

all my friends , and my husband are trying to convince me that this camera is crappy and to sell it, I just want to show them that they are mistaken, I just need to find the right settings....
I knew that this camera is not a simple P&S....that is what they don't to understand.... for them a camera should be switched on and take a photo.... no time to mess up with buttons and so on... I don't agree... but if I could find the right settings with your help...... so I can put it on a take a photo...the better....
thanks, Angela.
angelforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2010, 9:58 AM   #2

Angela-

For indoor photos with the FZ-35 I would use P for Programed Auto, Auto ISO, and the built-in flash unit. You must also keep in mind that you are limited as well by Flash Range. Flash Range is the distance, measured in feet from the camera to the subject. Using the FZ-35's built-in flash unit you will be limited to 10 to 12 feet of Flash Range, and the camera will most probably select a shutter speed of 1/60th of a second, which cannot stop really fast action.

As a mother of 8, I understand from many years of experience, that toddlers do indeed, move very quickly. So take your photo as the child comes to a stop, or hesitates, due to the slower shutter speed used when using flash.

Please keep in mind that fast action, indoor shots are not the forte of P+S cameras, even the FZ-35. To increase the shutter speed, you would have to add light a lot of light to the FZ-35, by using a powerful slave flash, such as the DigiSlave 3000. A Slave Flash is required to add the amount of light you really need for higher shutter speeds because the FZ-35 does not have a hot shoe to mount an external flash unit.

You can obtain higher shutter speeds by using the shutter preference mode rather than the P mode on the Mode Selector, but as I noted above, that will take a lot more light that can only be provided by a powerful slave flash. The other advantage of a slave flash is that it also will allow you the flexibility of using Bounce Flash as well.

I have attached a photo of a camera equipped with the DigiSlave 3000 slave flash. Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2010, 10:05 AM   #3

Angela-

Here is what the DigiSlave-3000 can do with the Panasonic FZ-35 camera. This photo was taken at a distance of 25 feet from my husband. Notice that that is more than double the Flash Range of the FZ-35's built-in flash unit.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Jan 4, 2010, 10:53 AM   #4

Angela, I think that this thread topic is probably one that would even have Einstein perplexed.... as I believe that there is no easy or quick answer in that every individual has a different eye for colour, contrast and sharpness etc. Having said that, I have set my FZ38 as follows:
Intelligent ISA : off I always wish to keep to as low an ISA value as possible so like to limit the “intelligence” of the camera which seems to push it too high at times.
Sensitivity : 200 This way I always have a fair chance of success if I have to take any sudden photos without warning. Usually I simply press the joystick menu and change from 200 to a more desired value. Only takes a second. I cannot claim this “fixed 200 concept” as my own, as it was a professional photographer who once told me about keeping it fixed at 200. I like using this “technique” rather than getting an unnecessary “noisy” photo.
Intelligent Exposure : off Have so far not seen any improved result or benefit........ maybe there are other users out there with a different opinion?
I have also experimented with the Sharpness, Noise Reduction and Contrast controls for indoor use at -1, 0, as well as +1, but prefer to set them as the default at 0. I really thought that for me the factory default works best. On Saturation however, I felt that +1 is a big improvement and have it permanently set it to this.
Would very much like to hear what other users have to say on this topic too!
dbnnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2010, 12:28 PM   #5

dbnnet-

I use the factory default settings, except for increasing the saturation ton +1. Gaining experience with the FZ-35/38 makes a sizable difference as well.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 4, 2010, 3:06 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Hi Angela,

Firstly good news, I don't agree with what you've been told and that you need to add a flash to resolve your problem, just a few setting changes and you should be there as long as we are not talking over huge distances.

I do a lot of flash work in high speed situations of weddings and parties so I've encountered most problems you will face and I also like to use flash to be creative which can be fun too. Flash is not all about throwing extra light at a subject, more learning how to use it.

To be able to make things as clear as possible I've taken some photos of me (sorry, really bad subject, unshaven and my hair wasn't great hence the cap). Now I had to work with a tripod as it is only me and use the wireless delay release so I couldn't run around or anything so just waved my arms backward and forward as violently as possible....... sorry about the face I'm pulling too, if I tried to smile it didn't work and looked even worse so decided to shout at the camera.

Let's start with some basics, what will freeze the movement? Two things either a high shutter speed or using the very fast pulse of the flash but with less ambient light.

As we go through the examples you will see this in action.

OK, here is a shot in P mode using natural lighting only. Each time I will give the full shot reduced to 750 pixels and then a 100% crop so you can see the movement.

1/50s f4 ISO 800

As can be seen there is quite a lot of blur.

Next lets see what happens if we add flash when using P mode, it would be expected that we would get no blur.... flash = more light so less or no blur however this isn't the case.

1/60s f4.5 ISO 800 and Flash

OK, so we still have blur, it is different as there is a trail now but still not acceptable.

Now, let's get rid of it. I switched to Shutter Priority and selected 1/250s and reduced the ISO to 80. This now means that basically we are getting a black photo without flash so we are forcing the flash to be used. Let's she how that works out.

1/250s f4 ISO 80 Flash

OK, so now we are looking good.

I'm sure the question is now, what is freezing the action, is it the shutter speed being fast or the flash.

What would happen if we try to expose for only 1/250s. This was hard as I didn't have enough light so I used ISO1600 and a slightly wider aperture (had to zoom out a little) but still couldn't get a correct exposure but you will see the results.

1/250s f3.5 ISO 1600 No Flash

Now apart from the high noise and bad exposure we can see that blur is reduced but still clearly evident.

So the flash is doing a lot for us (remember the pulse of a flash is really really fast). If this is the case let's see what we can do with a longer shutter speed using flash.

1/25s f7.1 ISO 80 Flash

OK so that was successful, how did it work? Well the settings I used meant that the shot was under exposed with no flash so the flash is doing nearly all the work and again it is the short pulse of the flash.

Going back to your situation Angela, if you try shutter priority (you don't need to go as high as 1/250, have a play around) and a quite low ISO so that the shot is under exposed without flash then the flash will freeze the action.

There is a downside to this in that you won't be getting all the shoot exposed correctly as things further away from the camera will be dark, but you will capture the action.

That should keep you going for now.

Let us know how that does for you.

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2010, 3:26 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
Going back to your situation Angela, if you try shutter priority (you don't need to go as high as 1/250, have a play around) and a quite low ISO so that the shot is under exposed without flash then the flash will freeze the action.

There is a downside to this in that you won't be getting all the shoot exposed correctly as things further away from the camera will be dark, but you will capture the action.
just reemphasizing the main point here. can easily be done in manual (M) mode as well, just pick ISO 80-100. pick a nice sharp medium aperture (f7.1-8) and a fairly high shutter speed 1/125 or 1/250, etc. that should ensure that you picture would be underexposed without flash.

then the quick pop of the flash will easily stop the action.

just make sure you are within your flash range.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2010, 4:54 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Thanks Dustin, I was rushing out to play soccer but I wanted to get the post sent before I went.

Probably the aperture doesn't need to be as wide so just doing shutter priority at the 1/125 - 1/250 setting should be a good place to start.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2010, 9:06 AM   #9

As an owner of the fz35, for indoor shots I have a custom setting of noise reduction to -1 (with flash) and +1 without flash and indoors.... everything else set to "0".
anthony_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2010, 12:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
just reemphasizing the main point here. can easily be done in manual (M) mode as well, just pick ISO 80-100. pick a nice sharp medium aperture (f7.1-8) and a fairly high shutter speed 1/125 or 1/250, etc. that should ensure that you picture would be underexposed without flash.

then the quick pop of the flash will easily stop the action.

just make sure you are within your flash range.

Hy , Its my first post here.
I own fz38 for a day ; and am also struggling to have nice photos indoors.I mean , they are ok , there are twice as good as photos taken from comapct camere I used to work before.

I tried to use these setting written above , but I get almost black screen ??
1/250 shutter speed , ISO 100 and f 7.1 Indoor , small lamp is turned on.

sure , when I use flash its ok.

Last edited by hrvoje xyz; Jan 5, 2010 at 12:46 PM.
hrvoje xyz is offline   Reply With Quote