Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 4, 2010, 6:29 PM   #1

Default Anyone have the ZS3?

Anyone have this camera?
confused on what I'm seeing and reading...
Some say the high iso is horrid, others say it's not bad. Shots I've seen on review sites don't look that bad even at 800 for a smaller sensored cam. Maybe not as good as the larger sensored cams like the LX3 or Canon S90. But really wanna know how much different they are. Some reviews show this camera is less into smearing detail which is good as then we can adjust NR ourselves for maximum detail retention.
The lens looks really sharp from some samples I've seen, but wondering in combo with iso quality how useful the long lens is? I mean, can you only get really sharp shots in GREAT light at low isos when at full zoom?
Is the flash good enough for indoor subject shots, like a person or a pet or do you have to be really close?

Any thoughts and/or samples would be great to see, thanks much )
Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2010, 9:16 PM   #2
Super Moderator

well, its not the best performer in low light, but not the worst either, pretty standard for a small sensor camera. definitely not in the league of the lx3, s90, g11, but you already know that.

the biggest problem at high iso's is it tends to mottle up the colors, but thats really only in underexposed/shadow areas at 1600. in general the camera's other fault is that it doesn't handle the red channel very well, and some red objects can be a little on the purple side.

the flash is pretty small, as is pretty common on compact digicams. so stay within 8-10 feet or so if you plan on doing that kind of stuff.

but, on the upside, it has one of the best lenses in its class offering good sharpness from its widest to its most telephoto, and sharp throughout the range, as well as one of the best implementations of image stabilization. and in good light, the sensor is one of the best in class as well.

like everything, there is compromise, so it just comes down to prioritization.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2010, 10:08 PM   #3

Thanks for the information, much appreciated.
You don't happen to have any examples of like ISO 400 in 'ok' light, not dark or bright but kinda like where most would use ISO 400, in dimmer light? I've looked at review samples but those are hard to tell, seems they can make any cam look low noise.

Cool to know the lens really is super sharp.

I often wonder, I know the LX3 bests it on higher isos, in real life is it like a 'wow' difference, or more like a 'yeah, I can see the difference' kinda thing?
Old Jan 4, 2010, 10:26 PM   #4
Super Moderator

did you look at the review samples here at steve's. they are unedited, so there is no "looking good" i personally don't have any examples.

have a look at the pictures of the red M&M, you can see what all the ISOs look like in good light
http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...-review-7.html

compare that to the S90 (current king of low-light compacts)
http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...photos-31.html

that should answer those questions for you.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 10:56 PM   #5

OK just looked, still hard to tell, hate to say. The S90 is exposed a lot brighter then the ZS3, so the Panny has more shadow noise and less detail in those areas. I have no doubt the S90 is cleaner, just cannot see 'how much' unless they exposed identical. Thanks anyway,

Ron

Last edited by Highway; Jan 4, 2010 at 11:05 PM.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 11:40 PM   #6
Super Moderator

if you do a search on zs3 vs s90 you can find some examples.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 1:41 PM   #7

Thanks, yes, been doing that