Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 21, 2004, 7:29 AM   #11

will the sunpak 383 and sunpak 544 work with the fz10?
callas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2004, 10:33 AM   #12

Can Metz 36-C2 work on the FZ10? Anyone tried this flash?
Famo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2004, 9:31 PM   #13

What would be one flash to buy for indoor shots simple and cheap enough for a novice
Arshad
aghauri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2004, 12:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas
will the sunpak 383 and sunpak 544 work with the fz10?
I use the Sunpak 383 Super on my FZ10 and feel it's too large for the camera. Personally, I would have prefered the Panasonic flash, it fits the camera better size-wise and looks nicer as a complete setup.
Guerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2004, 10:28 PM   #15

Default Nikon SB-28

I have a Nikon SB-28 Speedlight and I'm interested in the FZ10. Its a great flash, but I'm unsure if it will work at all with this camera. I haven't found a local store that carries the FZ10 to try it.

Will it work with the speedlight's manual settings, or should I e-bay it and get a flash that's better with the FZ10?
Donsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2004, 1:05 AM   #16

Just as someone above said, any newer flash that works with a digital camera will work fine and won't burn out the insides. I've used both Canon 420 and Sigma 500 with that camera and it works fine. You just need to set your shutter speed to it's maximum and then play with the aperture and ISO settings to reduce exposure to the appropriate force. It's definitely workable. To do this, though, you use shutter priority in the menu, setting the shutter to as high as it can go, then allowing the camera to select what it thinks is the appropriate aperture, and I would suggest keeping the ISO to it's lowest setting, then perhaps stopping the shutter to a slower setting if necessary or playing with some of the available manual flash settings, depending on what flash you have. The biggest pain with this camera, as far as I'm concerned, is that it "blacks out" in manual mode if you get too bold with your shutter or aperture stopping. You can't see anything in the LCD or viewfinder when you choose M (full manual) rather than A (aperture) or S (shutter) and set your shutter fast and your aperture closed down too much. The option to underexpose should exist in full manual, and that option "doesn't" exist when the photographer cannot see what they are shooting at any longer. They really need to fix that in the next version, and I'm sure they will.

PS - Donsell, if your flash works on "any" digital camera it will work on the FZ10. However, this isn't the case with 35mm cameras and you could blow a circuit if you try to place a film camera flash on a digital camera (from what I've heard).
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2004, 1:19 AM   #17

I decided to order the DMW-FL28 Panasonic flash which is both powerful and seems to fit the camera nicely as Guerito pointed out above. I hope to receive it next week.
LynnObie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2004, 1:28 AM   #18

Some of my students used the FZ10 for shooting a basketball tournament this past weekend. They had both the Canon 420 and the Sigma DG 500 at their disposal. They interchanged between the G5 and FZ10, sharing the flashes. The Sigma is about the same price as the 420 Canon but is much more powerful and can act as a master flash to a slave, whereas the 420 cannot. However, the Sigma blew up on me when it was needed most where the Canon continued to trudge along...take that for what you wish. I'd take the Sigma 500 over the Canon 420 any day, in an instant, if the guarantee existed that the Sigma wouldn't crap out on me. I'm sure you get my drift. The Sigma is now on it's way back to warranty city.

Lynn, so the moral of the story is this...don't mix meals if possible. Definitely the Panasonic flash will work better with the Panasonic cam
Same goes for those add-on lenses when they can eventually be purchased, unless they are just a nightmare of Panasonic, used to tease us.

Not to mention warranties, which should be a consideration. I sent my Rebel in for calibration with my lenses today and my Sigma 50-500 couldn't go along with the batch. Why? Because Canon won't touch it. So, Lynn, there's something to be said with sticking with the company you began with. Apparently most of those guyz don't like one another too much and so you get better service if you have the same brand name on each item. Scary stuff if someone decides to follow one name and it turns out to be junky, eh.

I'm pretty secure with Canon, but still don't like the politics of it all. I think Canon should have accepted my Sigma 50-500 with open arms, simply because I'm using it with a Canon camera.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2004, 11:30 AM   #19

The SB 28 is a fairly recent flash, cir 1998 or so. It uses 4 AA batteries so I can't imagine the voltage being too much, unless the problem would be with the pin layout.

Is there a reason why something like a hot shoe connection on a camera doesn't have an industry standard??
Donsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2004, 3:55 AM   #20

I use my old flash with a converter circuit I made by myself. The converter will use lower trigger voltage which is safe for the camera.
The circuit is very2 simple. I forgot the link where I find the diagram for the circuit, but if you are interrested you can try with "Flash + optoisolated + voltage" on google.

Here are the pictures of it :
http://jonathan-leonardi.fotopic.net/c152929.html
jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote