Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 22, 2003, 2:31 PM   #1

Default What flash is useable on the FZ10?

I've got the highend Contax/Nikon TTL flash...and wondering if it will work on the FZ10? This camera has a shoe - but the little techsheet I saw doesn't mention optional flash useage..

Jim
Wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 22, 2003, 8:01 PM   #2

I have had the FZ10 one day and it's my 1st digi-tography camera, so I am overwelmed. For me at the present moment the menu settings are daunting. Assuming you do not have the FZ10 yet but are looking for info, the best I can do is give you verbatim some info from the manual.

Under "Using the External Flash" page 85, under *Suggestions/Tips*:

--Some commercial external flashes have synchro terminals with high-voltage or reversed polarity. Using such external flashes may cause a malfunction or the camera may not operate normally.
Be sure to use Panasonic's external flash (DMW-FL28).

--If using other external flash units, please make sure the flash is designed for use with a digital camera and the trigger voltage is based on ISO 10330 (less than 24 volts).

--The available flash range is 32.8 feet (10m) in DMW-FL28. (When setting to ISO100)

Naturally there is more, about some of the settings. Much of greek to me at this time. One note though is that
"When attaching the external flash, the built-in flash cannot be activated."
There would be no room for it to open.

I hope this will help you a little. It's all I can provide until someone with more experience catches your post. Let the snapin' happen.
m.achure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2003, 3:17 PM   #3

Thanks M. - you bugger!...you got your's already.

The verbage is interesting. "synchro terminals with high-voltage or reversed polarity"...scary stuff.

It will be interesting to dig into the specs of the more popular units. I can't imagine they'd be so selfish to make a product that would be totally out of sync with the rest of the World. ....did you say; "Memory Stick?"

...or want to see a rash of return's (Waaaah? Noooo..I didn't connect nut'n to it?!)

Have fun with the new toy...

Jim
Old Nov 26, 2003, 10:57 PM   #4

The FZ 10 only has one pin for the hot shoe....so I found out tonight so I could not use just any TTL flash.

Tamara
for_ladybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2003, 1:56 PM   #5

Just about any newer automatic flash, with less than 24V, will do.

Don't get too excited though, the flash is almost unusable. It seems that the image in the EVF gets dimmer as the aperture and shutter speeds are reduced. In other words if there is enough light you don't need the flash,then you can use it. If you need the flash you can't see what you are doing.

For example, in normal room lighting, at F4 and 1/100 second, the image is just about all black. For a still object there is a work around. You can switch to auto when the image becomes bright again, focus and frame, then switch back to manual. You need manual to use the external flash.

Sigh.
parallel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2003, 9:14 AM   #6

I've tested about 11 different flash units that worked just fine. I've noticed that as long as the voltage across the flash contact is < 12V they should work. Slightly higher may also work, but older units with higher voltages won't.
Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2003, 12:00 AM   #7

The Canon 220EX works okay.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2003, 3:30 PM   #8

Default Update: TTL flash...

This one works great!...

...but not on the TTL settings. It can be switched to be useable with a conventional camera..like the FZ10. I don't know the real brand, but it's the same flash as the NIKON (SB-25..maybe?) flash all the press photogs use.

Jim
Old Jan 2, 2004, 11:16 PM   #9

Default WHAT FLASH WORKS

MY DIGI SLAVE DELUX 3000 GUIDE #110 WORKS FANTASTIC.
USE IT IN FULL MANUAL AND NO PROBLEM POINTING IT. EVEN THE WAITRESS AT THE RESTURANT HAD NO PROBLEM TAKING OUR PICTURE.
Chuckiebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2004, 12:08 PM   #10

Since making my earlier post, I discovered that you need to be in aperture preferred, rather than full automatic, to avoid the evf going black in low light. The evf still darkens after you start to press the shutter, unless you are on F2.8, but that is much better than being dark the whole time.
parallel is offline   Reply With Quote