Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 21, 2010, 11:15 PM   #1

Default FZ35 Question

Hi all. I used to post often a year or two ago, but life and health got in the way.

Just got an FZ35 a few days ago. Have had nothing but overcast at best, and rainy at worst, shooting conditions.With very short focus times and/or camera panning a bit, in case that helps explain situation. My problem is dark areas on borders of shots. I am not saying these are good shots, more in a test mode, but it seems to me they should be equally bad or good all over, and some are not.

These are live links so you can traipse over to Flickr and click link I put under picture or all sizes button above it to see them larger.

ISO 400
Shot in rain, so a lot of the grainy "noise" is rain drops. Note dark on left side. An after market lens hood on (huge) but same hood has been used often with FZ18 without this happening.

ISO 100
I picked this shot for the obvious lighting imbalance, not because it was a good one. No hood, tracking a moving bird. (There are good BIF shots on my Flickr if you want to see some.)

I have more, plus, plenty of good ones. So far I think this might be related to motion but am not sure and need to play around more. I am mainly wondering if this has been seen by anyone else. I can work around it if it is a camera design flaw, but if not and it is seems related to my individual camera I would like to exchange it while it is within the initial 30 days and I can use the seller instead of Panasonic.

Next, a question about the quick menu. I can change the movie quality in the quick menu. In my previous cameras I could change picture quality. Does anyone know if there is a way to change the menu items? When shooting a bird I really don't want to go to the main menu to change from JPEG to RAW, which I do often.

Finally, since you got this far, a couple nice shots, two from FZ18 and one from FZ35

Same Mergansers, different shot. Edited in elements, Neat Image lightly applied, and cropped. FZ35

One of the Peregrines that live in Chicago. FZ18

Last edited by happy_peasant; Jan 21, 2010 at 11:18 PM.
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2010, 11:40 PM   #2

Happy Peasant-

Welcome back to the Forum. It is very good indeed, to see you again.

This is the first time that I have seen that darkening in the left hand side of the frame in an FZ-35. It seems to be something is wrong there. The same tonal quality should appear across the entire framed width.

I would exchange the camera. As it is still very new, that should be easy to do. Hey, its great to have you back with us. I am sorry to see the camera glitch, but it should be asy to deal with at your dealer. I have attached an FZ-35 sunrise photo to illustrate the same tone on the full width of the frame. Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2010, 1:10 AM   #3

Thanks Sarah.
I like that sunrise. Not only is it beautiful, but it means you have sun in your world. That happens too rarely here in Winter.
Steve
Old Jan 22, 2010, 2:33 AM   #4

Hi Steve,

I don't have such problems with my FZ-35. You should certainly exchange your camera.

Joho

Last edited by Joho; Jan 22, 2010 at 2:37 AM.
Joho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2010, 10:58 AM   #5

Steve-

Actually that sunrise was our treat after 12 days of rain. We had one day of intermittent sunshine, followed by more rain. In fact, we are still in the rain cycle.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 27, 2010, 12:07 AM   #6

Just an update. The camera used to take shot above is on its way back to Amazon, and the replacement should be here tomorrow afternoon.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 12:18 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_peasant View Post
Just an update. The camera used to take shot above is on its way back to Amazon, and the replacement should be here tomorrow afternoon.
good to hear, i hope you have a better experience with the new model.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2010, 10:38 AM   #8

Hi Steve-

That is great news. The FZ-35 is an excellent camera and you will really enjoy the replacement. Please keep us posted.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Jan 28, 2010 at 11:33 AM.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 3:23 AM   #9

Thanks Sarah and Hards80. I put it to the test today, chilling it down to below freezing so I could shoot in light snow flurries. (Lake effect snow) It did a fine job, will post bird and lake shots tomorrow.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 6:48 AM   #10

Glad to hear good news...I love my FZ35 !
Stan C. is offline   Reply With Quote