Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 3, 2010, 8:51 AM   #11

Does that flash have "pre-flash" support? Was the picture of your husband taken in "Normal Picture" mode? And can you try to see if the external slave flash works in "iA" mode? It should *NOT* because the camera uses pre-flash in that mode and vanilla slave flash will erroneously trigger on the pre-flash rather than on main flash.

What I wan to verify is that ZR-1 does *NOT* use pre-flash in "Normal Picture" mode. The manual never states that explicitly although it does say that it uses pre-flash in "iA" mode. The simple slave trigger that I am thinking of purchasing does *NOT* support pre-flash and your experiment would help me decide if I can go ahead and purchase the simple slave trigger.

Thanks,
- Vikas
sontakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2010, 12:45 PM   #12

Vikas-

I would be rather wary of the flash or light output of a so called simple slave flash, as it might limit your flash range considerably. Yes, there is a pre-flash used in the IA mode. And no, there does not appear to be a pre-flash utilized in the normal photo mode.

The easiest thing would be to try it in the photo shop where you are purchasing.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2010, 12:59 PM   #13

another question if you do not mind!

With the external slave flash, there is not any kind of metering by the camera, correct? How do I control the output of the slave flash or is it always going to be at full blast?

Thanks,
- Vikas
Old Mar 3, 2010, 3:19 PM   #14

Vikas-

On the ZR-1, I use Auto ISO, because, as you mentioned the amount of slave flash induced into the photo environment can not be controlled.

Sarah Joyce
Old Mar 4, 2010, 10:24 PM   #15

Vikas -- re your Canon S410 - Check with Canon Customer Support. The S410 is one of the cameras fitted with the Sony(?) CCD sensor which has internal problems and Canon is still replacing at no charge. They did an A70 of mine a couple of years ago and I sent a S410 with problems similar to those you discribe to them last week. Am waiting word if they agree it is a sensor problem and they wil replace it or not.

Charlie Schmalz
Quote:
Originally Posted by sontakke View Post
Sarah,

Do you have ZR1? I just purchased it recently but I am not happy with the indoors photos. In iA mode, it gets confused quite a lot. The flash is inadequate and it accidentally gets in to slow sync mode. ZS3 is extremely popular and there are lots of photos and satisfied users. I am thinking of swapping ZR1 for ZS3 but I am not sure if I would get better indoor pictures with ZS3. I was just trying to snap pictures at our house during a family get together. Not only noise was very high, sometimes the shutter speed was too slow and lot of subject movement was recorded in the image. I could not figure out why camera decided to have such a slow shutter speed in iA mode even though flash was on.

My previous camera was Canon SD410, a very old 4MP camera with CompactFlash memory :-) The sensor has gone bad and it gets some weird red cast or psychedelic rainbow effect. I was hoping ZR1 to take better pictures than SD410 with 5 years of advances in technology but that does not seem to be the case.

- Vikas
clschmalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2010, 11:20 AM   #16

I sent it out to Canon yesterday. I included a CD with the weird pictures. It always has that pink cast to the pictures, especially the top tenth of the picture but once you start using it, it gets way bad.

The S410 is on their list. It should be fixed/replaced.

Back to ZR1; I wanted to use it to record the serial number of S410 before sending it to Canon. For the life of me, I could not get ZR1 macro to focus on the serial number. I tried with "iA" and normal picture in Macro mode but it would not focus at all.

- Vikas
Old Mar 5, 2010, 11:28 AM   #17

Sarah,

Are you using Zeikos ZE-DS12 Digital Pro Slave Flash?

Does this flash have a photosensor to cut the flash output when it "thinks" exposure is right? I understand that this is pretty hard to achieve in practice but would be nice to experiment with. Once the slave flash knows the aperture set by the camera (pretty much fixed for point and shoot), it can turn off the flash when the photosensor sees just the correct exposure from the total reflected light aka similar to TTL controlled flash. This assumes that the slave flash is right next to the camera and both see the same scene being illuminated.

Given that most slave flashes are NOT used like this i.e. the slave flash is at a different location than the camera flash, the slave-measured-exposure would not work. But it would be nice to have that option on a slave flash.

- Vikas
Old Mar 5, 2010, 11:34 AM   #18

Sarah: I own a ZS3 and a Metz 45-CL4. Can i connect both? Thanks for your help.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2010, 3:20 PM   #19

Vikas-

The Zeikos slave flash I am using has no model number on it at all. It was cheap, about $12.00, so not very sophisticated. I also use a Canon HF-1,it can select three levels of power: low, medium, and high. Unfortunately, though, the HF-1 will not fit the ZR1. The HF-1's range is 2X to 3X more than the Zeikos. To help the uncontrolable Zeikos, I set the ZR1 to "Auto ISO."

Ordo-

As far as I can determine, the Metz 45 CL 4, while a top rated, powerful flash does not have a slave flash function. I could be wrong. That would make the Metz 45 unusable with the ZR1 camera.

Sarah Joyce
Old Mar 5, 2010, 5:42 PM   #20

Must be Zeikos ZE-DS12 Digital Pro Slave Flash with Bracket
It is the $12 one.

I am intrigued on how ZR1 "Auto ISO" can handle uncontrollable flash. The camera can not close the shutter fast enough as it is already set for standard 1/60 flash exposure. Can it adjust ISO dynamically during the exposure?

- Vikas