Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 5, 2010, 7:18 PM   #21

Vikas-

The compensation seems to occur in the ISO Setting. That is verified by reading the EXIF information.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2010, 8:27 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
On the ZR-1, I use Auto ISO, because, as you mentioned the amount of slave flash induced into the photo environment can not be controlled.
Auto ISO will not control the flash because the ISO value is determined before shutter actuation. So, if the subject is in real low light and the shutter for flash photography is set to 1/60, the camera will set the aperture to its widest value and then bump up the ISO accordingly until it reaches a balance (based on the internal flash). So, in this case, chances are that the built in flash + the slave will create an over exposed image. IMO, the best way to work with slave flash is to turn off the built in flash (so no iAUTO or any scene mode that forces the BI flash to fire automatically). Then check the maximum output of the slave flash and how it compares against the BI flash of the camera. Say that the BI flash has a max range of 5 ft with AUTO ISO and the slave flash is rated at 10ft. You know you have twice as much power with the slave flash. That means if you set the shutter to 1/60 and ISO 100, there will be double the light reaching the sensor and because the camera has no idea of how powerful the slave flash is, it can not throttle the exposure. So, you do it. Reduce the exposure by -0.7 and you should get it close to perfect.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 9:48 PM   #23

Hi Sarah,

I bought cheap flash trigger but it seems to fire on the preflash. My older Canon S410 got fixed by Canon. I tried the slave flash trigger on both Canon S410 and Lumix ZR1 and neither allows me to use the slave. I could not find any mode of the camera to turn off the preflash. The slave fires on the preflash which makes the camera think there is too much light so the main flash gets cut down drastically and the pictures come out completely dark!

I am surprised that slave flash works with your ZS3. May be your slave flash is smarter than my slave trigger and yours has the ability to ignore the preflash. What happens when you use slave flash on ZS3 in iA mode? Do you also get complete dark exposure?

Thanks,
- Vikas
sontakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2010, 5:04 PM   #24

vikas-

The slave flash I am using is able to ignore pre-flashes.

Sarah Joyce
Old Mar 17, 2010, 8:28 PM   #25

Here is an excellent example of what the Panasonic ZR-1 is capable of image quality-wise.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images