Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 28, 2010, 10:39 PM   #1

Default FZ-35 Macro or Close-up Photo

When I was shopping on Tuesday (01/26) I came across the hybrid orchid in the Floral Department of the Super Market. The orchids were beautiful but they were all jammed together and the background for this photo was terrible and the light was coming from Sodium Vapor lights, so it was a real test for the FZ-35's Auto WB. I had to carefully clone in a new background. I hope you like it.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2010, 2:28 AM   #2

Awesome Macro photo, have you seen the lens you can get for Macro shoots for the FZ35?
Paul O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2010, 6:49 AM   #3
Super Moderator

the flower looks nice and sharp and the color looks good. The background doesn't work at all with repeated cloning so there are soft bands, also there are gaps where you can see the original and also blurring of the petals in places so makes this look very unnatural. I would be interested to see the original.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2010, 10:12 AM   #4

Here, you go, Mark-

Here is the original. The display was very cluttered, and this was a quick attempt to grab something out of the background and make it become the entire background.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Jan 29, 2010, 10:29 AM   #5
Super Moderator

I see what you mean, this is why I don't like cameras using wide angle for macro. I have the same issue with the SX1 so just go to full zoom and then shoot from about 1m away as it generally is more appealing. I think it might look more natural with a quick selection and then gaussian blur to the background to give the appearance of a shallow dof. This was a 30 second edit to show what I mean. There is a slight halo effect around the flower but I was rushing to get it done.
Attached Images

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2010, 11:21 AM   #6

Nicely done, Mark-

I also considered using Macro-Zoom, but the narrow aisle around the display prevented me from doing so. The whole thing began for me when I wanted to get rid of the distracting white daisies in the lower right hand area. I like your pp better.

I bought a Canon SX-10 for a good price on E-Bay last night so when it arrives, I am going to use the SX-10 to muster some activity over on the Canon P+S folder as well. Wish me luck. The price was excellent, so I am thinking positive thoughts and hoping for a reasonable image quality in the SX-10 when it arrives. I will keep you posted.

Sarah Joyce