Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 29, 2010, 12:12 AM   #1

Default No Flash Photo Right Out of the Camera

Lately several FZ-35 users asked how well the metering was on the camera, had anyone tested it? Well, I decided to test the FZ-35's metering. This photo taken in our local super market can straight out of the camera with only cropping and resizing.

The lighting was provided by those Sodium Vapor lights that you see in this photo. I used Auto WB and no flash.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2010, 12:23 AM   #2
Super Moderator

it handled the exposure and wb spot on.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2010, 2:25 AM   #3

Beautiful exposure, Sarah, and u better known as the FZ35 lady, love your reviews & replies on the forum.
Paul O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2010, 3:39 AM   #4

Impressive handling of WB but poor resolution (I guess that's caused by ISO 800).

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2010, 7:15 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
Impressive handling of WB but poor resolution (I guess that's caused by ISO 800).
I'm not sure how you can tell this from such a small photo. It could easily be lack of sharpening or something in PP.

I agree the camera handled things well.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2010, 10:04 AM   #6

Thanks for the C&C-

Tullio-

It was actually a snap as I was rolling my cart out of the supermarket. So I took it on the fly. I will post a 100% crop of the image attached to this post. That will give us a better idea what happened.

Paul-

Thanks for your comments. I felt it was time that we got a bit more action in the Panasonic P+S folder.

Hards/Dustin-

Yes, the FZ-35 did handle the light and the WB well. It pretty much was an experiment to see how the camera would respond, and a spur of the moment thing.

Mark-

With you in mind, I have attached a 100% crop. So those that desire can do a bit of pixel peeping. This is a snap with a $(US)300.00 P+S while I am hurrying home to get the garbage out to the end of the driveway, and to get dinner prepared, so we should not be expecting WOW, or 50D quality. I was mainly looking to test for accurate exposure and the see how the FZ-35 handled the WB. The image does show noise, which I expected with the small 2.33 imager.

Have a great day, everyone.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Jan 29, 2010, 10:15 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post

Mark-

With you in mind, I have attached a 100% crop. So those that desire can do a bit of pixel peeping. This is a snap with a $(US)300.00 P+S while I am hurrying home to get the garbage out to the end of the driveway, and to get dinner prepared, so we should not be expecting WOW, or 50D quality. I was mainly looking to test for accurate exposure and the see how the FZ-35 handled the WB. The image does show noise, which I expected with the small 2.33 imager.
I was trying to say that Tullio was being hard on the camera and drawing a conclusion that was impossible to do so from a web sized image and that your photo showed what you wanted which is the good exposure and WB.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2010, 10:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
I'm not sure how you can tell this from such a small photo. It could easily be lack of sharpening or something in PP.

I agree the camera handled things well.
I downloaded the image to look at the EXIF data as I was curious about the WB setting. I was wondering if Sarah had the camera set to a preset WB or AUTO because of the accuracy of it. Then I cropped 100% and noticed that everything was smudged, with almost no definition. I know that part of the lack of resolution is due to image size but still, I was surprised by how little definition there was. Let's see how the full size image looks like once Sarah posts it.

Tullio
Old Jan 29, 2010, 10:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Thanks for the C&C-

Tullio-

It was actually a snap as I was rolling my cart out of the supermarket. So I took it on the fly. I will post a 100% crop of the image attached to this post. That will give us a better idea what happened.
Thanks for posting the cropped sample, Sarah. It certainly looks better than the first image. I guess considering the conditions, it's not bad at all (not impressive either but very acceptable).

Tullio
Old Jan 29, 2010, 1:28 PM   #10

Thanks, Mark and Tullio-

I appreciate your comments. My days have become really crammed as Bradley has gone downhill physically, my shooting has to pasted in while I do the daily chores, so at times the conditions are not ideal.

Sarah Joyce