Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 30, 2010, 11:21 AM   #11

As mentioned here (and in many other posts at Steve's), the use of iA (and other i's offered by Panasonic) is not recommended. In a way, it is unfortunate that the "i" modes won't produce the best image possible right out of the camera because that's what users expect and the frustration and disappointment resulting from its somewhat poor performance, is very discouraging. However, one should understand that it is practically impossible to satisfy everybody since people's taste for photography varies drastically. So, don't be intimidated by the controls and settings the camera has to offer. Play with them. Spend some time learing the menu and how to navigate through it (the Panasonic menu is a lot alot simpler than the Olympus, trust me). Make changes to the settings as you shoot your heart out (it's virtually free!), then pick your favorite shots and use the EXIF information to find out what the ideal settings are. I go through this exercise every time I get a new camera. The time I take up front to fine-tune the camera to my taste, pays out in the end as I tend to be very happy with the results.

The FZ38 offers 4 custom modes (C1, C2-1 to C2-3). Use them to save special settings such as "indoor with flash where you bump up the ISO to increase the reach and also increase the Noise Reduction to reduce noise. Making these adjustments every time you wish to use them is tiresome and you may end up forgetting to change something either before or after shooting. Use another C setting to save a high ISO configuration for outdoors low light or indoor low light conditions where flash is not allowed. Set another C to B&W, so on and so forth...you get the idea. This will turn your experience a much more positive one. Most cameras these days will perform decently well outdoors in good light. You need to make sure your camera handles well the not-so-good conditions. The FZ38 has that capability...you simply need to explore it.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2010, 2:19 PM   #12
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post

The FZ38 offers 4 custom modes (C1, C2-1 to C2-3). Use them to save special settings such as "indoor with flash where you bump up the ISO to increase the reach and also increase the Noise Reduction to reduce noise. Making these adjustments every time you wish to use them is tiresome and you may end up forgetting to change something either before or after shooting. Use another C setting to save a high ISO configuration for outdoors low light or indoor low light conditions where flash is not allowed. Set another C to B&W, so on and so forth...you get the idea. This will turn your experience a much more positive one. Most cameras these days will perform decently well outdoors in good light. You need to make sure your camera handles well the not-so-good conditions. The FZ38 has that capability...you simply need to explore it.
utilizing the custom modes is great advice Tulio. i don't shoot that camera in particular, but I have similar special setups for my 50D, and it really makes for a nice experience to save a special setup for a type of shooting you do alot and be able to just click over to it in 1 turn of a dial.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2010, 3:38 PM   #13

Thanks Tullio - strangely enough, I did exactly that on the 40d and registered 3 custom setups for different shooting conditions. I had noticed the FZ38 offered this, and it's one of the features I definitely plan to use.

I also totally agree (and fully understand) that it's impossible to please everyone - I do think Panasonic have done a pretty good job of cramming enough shooting options and user-configurability that it would be hard not to make the FZ38 do what you want!!

I took a few test shots of the kids indoors last night, comparing the FZ38 to our old Fuji F30 - it was quite interesting to note that whilst the Fuji would keep the ISO high (800), the FZ kept it low, resulting in slower shutter which wasn't ideal... I didn't try any FZ scenes, although I suspect "Pet" would actually be quite good for catching the little 'uns running about the living room!!
mrmacmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2010, 6:53 PM   #14

Tullio,
is it possible to have different Noise reduction setting for each custom mode? And other pictures adjustment settings(sharpness, etc) in this respect? I thought these particular settings are applied for all modes(P and custom) as one setting. Thanks
SteveMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2010, 12:49 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMI View Post
Tullio,
is it possible to have different Noise reduction setting for each custom mode? And other pictures adjustment settings(sharpness, etc) in this respect? I thought these particular settings are applied for all modes(P and custom) as one setting. Thanks
Absolutely. Set the camera to whatever mode you wish to save your configuration at. Then choose the picture adjust. to your liking (e.g. sharpness, contrast, saturation, noise reduction), set the ISO, WB, exposure compensation (0, -0.3, +0.3, etc.), flash behavior (AUTO, Fill flash, OFF, etc.), color mode you like best (Vivid, Standard, Mute, etc.), etc, etc, etc. Once you are done setting the camera, then you access the custom mode, choose the C option you wish to save the settings (C1, C2-1 to C2-3), and follow the menu to save the configuration. Repeat this exercise to all settings you wish to save in a particular custom setting.

Tullio

Last edited by Tullio; Jan 31, 2010 at 12:51 AM.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 1:24 AM   #16

Tullio,
Thank you. It works just as you said.
SteveMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2010, 2:26 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
Absolutely. Set the camera to whatever mode you wish to save your configuration at. Then choose the picture adjust. to your liking (e.g. sharpness, contrast, saturation, noise reduction), set the ISO, WB, exposure compensation (0, -0.3, +0.3, etc.), flash behavior (AUTO, Fill flash, OFF, etc.), color mode you like best (Vivid, Standard, Mute, etc.), etc, etc, etc. Once you are done setting the camera, then you access the custom mode, choose the C option you wish to save the settings (C1, C2-1 to C2-3), and follow the menu to save the configuration. Repeat this exercise to all settings you wish to save in a particular custom setting.
Are you actually using a FZ35, Tullio?
On my FZ35 there are only three Custom Settings (C1, C2, C3) and you can choose between warm, cool, bw and standard color mode. Or do you have a different firmware?

Some of my stuff on vimeo (all shot with an FZ-35):
The tree: www.vimeo.com/11345662
with LC55 macro lens: www.vimeo.com/13884313
Zeeland: www.vimeo.com/14488204
The old mill: www.vimeo.com/14577326
autoHDR: www.vimeo.com/15797552
soccer kids: www.vimeo.com/17208358
christmas lights: www.vimeo.com/17912783

Joho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 1:15 AM   #18

No. I have the FZ28 and assumed the FZ35 had the same settings. Obviously I was wrong. But, you can still saving the custom settings as I mentioned.

Tullio