Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 30, 2010, 11:31 AM   #1

Default Aaron's First Shots with FZ35

With the simpler P&S's I didn't expect much and did my best with what I could get during exposure; I hardly messed with any PP (that's "Post Processing," right?), save for some basic contrast or sharpness changes using the respective camera's provided software...so I feel like I'm cutting some new teeth here: FZ35, SilkyPix, and a few other "freebies" that I've seen recommended but haven't tried yet (ie: Noiseware, Gimp, Picasa3). I suppose I should play around with those and/or find some free trials before thinking about one of the pay-for, but 'less expensive' editors.

Here are a few, first day, playing with settings while paying less attention to them than I should have been. When looking at the EXIF later, I think a few times, while in Manual, I dipped into digital zoom even though I thought it was turned off (I assume Manual overrides that). I think that I also mistook "AF Spot" for "Spot Metering." These shots can certainly use some help, but I just resized for the sake of posting and, because I don't know quite what I'm doing yet. Enough prefacing.
Attached Images

Last edited by AaronB; Jan 30, 2010 at 11:39 AM.
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2010, 12:51 PM   #2

AaronB-

Welcome to the folder. Your first shots look quite nice. Congratulations.

Please remember that we are always here to help. Have a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2010, 2:14 PM   #3
Super Moderator

the 2nd flower looks quite nice. but the cat shot is severely underexposed.

i would probably lean towards using Aperture Priority mode for most of these shots. this will let you control your dof and let the camera meter for you. and then in order to get the shutter speeds you want, you can just vary the ISO.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2010, 2:42 PM   #4

Did you use the Macro Zoom under the AF/AFMacro/MF button infront of the On/Off switch, or did you use the Macro Mode on the dial?
AtariJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2010, 4:14 PM   #5

The other option is to use "tele-macro." That is taking a macro or close-up using the telephoto function of the FZ-35.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 31, 2010, 11:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtariJedi View Post
Did you use the Macro Zoom under the AF/AFMacro/MF button infront of the On/Off switch, or did you use the Macro Mode on the dial?
In my haste, or excitement rather, I used both the button and the dial at different times; I wasn't paying much attention to differences at the time, however. More playing, along with reading the manual will help!

Hards' - indeed, the cat picture is severely underexposed. I like the way the background is "more subtle" in the darker area but I also realize that underexposing an image isn't a good way to get that result: one reason it's important to understand DOF, it seems.

For fun I included the same cat-image after using SilkyPick's Automatic/Suggested changes, and a few bird shots (only resized) from a quick trip to the park yesterday afternoon. I'm thinking that after the changes the cat is still a bit dark. With the resized ducks, I'm thinking that the first isn't as sharp as it could be and the second is a little dark as well (considering the head). With the bright-white spot on the duck's rear, I'm guessing it would take some selective lightening of particular areas to brighten the head without washing out the rear? Or is this a contrast thing (or...)? And the goose in the last image looks pretty good to my novice eyes; I got lucky with the water drop, I think.

I'm not quite sure where I need it, but any "Vocabulary help" would also be appreciated.
Attached Images

Last edited by AaronB; Jan 31, 2010 at 11:52 AM.
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 10:49 AM   #7

The last set of photo's are awesome, great improvement, Aaron B I love the sharpness in the duck photo's.
Paul O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 1:30 PM   #8

Paul-

Once again, in the duck photos, that are very good indeed, it was the amount of light that was available that allowed a smaller shooting aperture, that work well to also increase the photo sharpness.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce