Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 30, 2010, 2:13 PM   #1

Default video uploading problems

So Here is the problem.
1) my wife bought me a new Panasonic lumix zs3 hd camera for Christmas.
2) when I hook the camera up to the computer, a HP computer the pictures look great and normal, just like the old camera. But the videos show up in a folder and the computer does not play them. However when I load the video into the Panasonic camera soft ware the video plays but it is very choppy and basically worthless.
Any ideas would be appreciated, other than my wife should have bought me an older camera or the wife needs a newer husband.
Thanks!
runningbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2010, 3:06 PM   #2

Download VideoLAN Client to play your videos, they use a codec called AVCHD Lite, just like the FZ-35. It works pretty well and is free.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

If that doesn't work, you can try out KMPlayer

http://www.kmplayer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8351
AtariJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2010, 4:04 PM   #3

I hate to say it, but it could simply be that your PC isn't powerful enough.... I mean no offense at all, and I don't know specifics of your system - I do however know that HD footage using the AVCHD Lite codec requires a lot of processing power to playback smoothly....this would certainly cause the 'choppy' playback you mention.

Don't discard the clips though... If horsepower is the problem, I suspect that converting them from .mts (AVCHD Lite) to another format (.avi, .wmv, .mp4 etc) will possibly play fine on your PC, although depending on the format and settings you choose, the converted clips could be big files!!

I hope it works out.
mrmacmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2010, 6:30 PM   #4

well thanks for the idea's, I will give it a try next week and post the results!
Old Jan 31, 2010, 9:16 AM   #5

well I tried the video lan with no luck, played slower than the photo fun from panasonic.

I think mrmacmusic may be correct.

so the next question is, How do I convert the video's to another format? Is this something I do on the camera or on the computer.

Again thanks for the help!
Old Jan 31, 2010, 2:43 PM   #6

Hi runningbird - you should convert the clips on your PC, and there are loads of software options, some of which may work better for you than others.

My first test movies from my new FZ38 were a little darker and more 'contrasty' than I had expected once imported to iMovie on an iMac. Looking for a solution, I stumbled across 'Video Converter' from iskysoft.com which will convert my original .mts format AVCHD Lite Panasonic movies into pretty much any format I want. Crucially though, it has adjustment controls (brightness, contrast, saturation), and I found that by increasing both the brightness and also adding a little contrast here in the conversion workflow is giving me results on my computer screen that very closely match the playback on camera LCD, and on our TV (direct playback from the camera with the AV cable).

I'm obviously using the Mac version, but there is a PC version and free download trial – it's got to be worth a try!!
mrmacmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2010, 4:15 PM   #7

Thanks again! I'll give it a try next week.