Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 2, 2010, 9:39 AM   #1

Default Still not sure...but the FZ38 is growing on me!

Hi again everyone thanks for your input to my previous posts!

Well, it turned out to be less of a camera-exploring weekend than I had hoped, but I am starting to focus (sorry!) on the positives of the FZ38. They're not the most exciting shots ever, but I thought it worthwhile sharing a couple of snaps.....

I thought I'd try the good old 'full moon' shot, and was quite happy with this hand-held result:

...and couldn't resist catching this sunrise from the office car park the next morning:

It does appear that the 18x Leica lens is as good as anticipated you won't see it here, but the black branches are crisp and well defined against the sky without even the slightest hint of fringing at all. Quite impressive!
mrmacmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2010, 9:45 AM   #2

mrmacmusic-

Well, it seems that you are getting on quite well with your new FZ-38. Both photos are impressive. The moon shot is nice and sharp and the sunrise rather dramatic. It appear that the sunrise might have been taken with the FZ-38's Sunset Mode, which tends to emphasize the red channel.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2010, 10:04 AM   #3

Thanks Sarah. Actually, I did my usual tweaking of the sunrise in Photoshop – it was taken in P mode (although I do plan to experiment with the different scene modes). Glad you saw the drama too!!

One thing - I found that standard 1-area AF wouldn't lock onto the moon at all, and had to change to 'spot' focus, after which it got it. Can anyone offer any insight into when to use what focus mode..?

On my old DSLR, I used the centre point only and never bothered with using multiple points (focus and re-compose).... apart from the obvious benefits of face-recognition and tracking modes, is there anything to be gained (or lost) by using anything other than single-area focusing on the FZ38 (35)?
mrmacmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2010, 10:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmacmusic View Post
... is there anything to be gained (or lost) by using anything other than single-area focusing on the FZ38 (35)?
I suppose it all boils down to personal preference. The Spot Focus sure is very effective for me, so tend to use that 80% of the time.
I'm still to experiment with metering on the FZ38, so hope to get around to spot metering as well!!
dbnnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2010, 11:00 AM   #5

dbnnet-

I am just like you. I leave the FZ-35 in spot focus all the time. I focus and re-frame while holding the shut release at the halfway mark. It is very easy to do and it certainly improves the focus accuracy.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote